Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lid about to blow off ! lol

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Colorowdy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 125

pretty sure your right, i think the blowoff is way too small, i may have to purchase a lid and make a bigger opening and get a bigger tube
picture in a minute

Ditch the airlock and gasket and connect a hose directly to your lid. I think it is half inch inside diameter. It's what I do now no problems since I switched to this method.

Everyone dies. Few truly live.

Reason: wrong id
xjames14x Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
xjames14x
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Ditch the airlock and gasket and connect a hose directly to your lid. I think it is quarter inch inside diameter. It's what I do now no problems since I switched to this method.[/QUOTE]

thank you, how sure are you that it is a 1/4 inch tubing?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjames14x View Post
Ditch the airlock and gasket and connect a hose directly to your lid. I think it is quarter inch inside diameter. It's what I do now no problems since I switched to this method.
thank you, how sure are you that it is a 1/4 inch tubing?[/QUOTE]

No matter how sure he is of his lid, it would be better for you to take a measuring tape to yours. Better yet, take the lid directly to the store, and try different sized hoses until you find the one that works.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
Just be careful. As soon as you start to open that lid, it will want to pop off. I got sprayed in the eye with a Russian Imperial Stout that was blowing the air lock off.
The trick to RDWHAHB is finding the silver lining. In this case; Close eyes, open mouth!

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

TheZymurgist Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Brandon9045
Recipes 

What you need, really.....is a bucket without a ****ty lid.

I noticed around the interwebs that a whole bunch of companies are selling buckets with lids that don't contain a rubber seal....

This is your problem....the pressure spits out the top of the lid because your bucket isn't totally sealed.

Had the same thing happen to me with a caribou slobber kit from Northern Brewer. I wanted to re-up on some equipment so I ordered the basic kit with a new capper and auto-siphon and more stuff....

Well, needless to say I was infuriated with the results......so from what I gather from common sense....if beer is getting pushed out of the top of the lid on the sides....idk, call me ****in crazy but it's not totally sealed right?

I happen to have one bucket with a lid that has a rubber gasket, and for the past 5 years it has been such a good fermenter.

When I experience a blowoff in said bucket, my beer ONLY spits out of the airlock, a perfect indication that your bucket is COMPLETELY sealed, not like these other BS buckets I see floating everywhere.

I was disappointed in Northern Brewer for that....but I'm seeing it all too often now with the crappy lids on the buckets, carboys are the BEST.....

So when I do have a blowoff, it gets messy but only comes out of the airlock, stick a tube in that 3-piece airlock and I never had to worry about beer coming out of the sides.

Shame on the companies that sell these buckets with lids without gaskets....SHAME

I thought we were are suppose to be as professional as we can....if my fermenter is not sealed, then what good is it to me?

LOL sorry for the huge rant, I just see these buckets everywhere without a good lid and it PISSES me off so much.....what's so hard about putting a rubber gasket inside the lid portion that recedes.....don't understand.

If there is a reason for that I'd like to know, otherwise I call BS on these lids.....

Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon9045 View Post
What you need, really.....is a bucket without a ****ty lid.

I noticed around the interwebs that a whole bunch of companies are selling buckets with lids that don't contain a rubber seal....

This is your problem....the pressure spits out the top of the lid because your bucket isn't totally sealed.
I think it's the opposite problem. It's sealing too well. I'd much rather have a krausen that leaks out over the edges than a lid that seals really well until there's enough pressure built up in there to send the lid slamming against the ceiling and spraying krausen six feet in every direction.

But yeah, if you have a blowoff tube installed that isn't running through a 1/8" hole that can easily get gunked up (the old "stick a tube onto the inside of a 3-piece airlock" trick), then a tightly sealing lid is a good idea.

Quick Reply