Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Licenses to sell HomeBrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Brewpilot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Licenses to sell HomeBrew

Anyone have any information, OR have an idea where one could obtain information about being licensed to sell thier homebrew? Can you sell any without a license? I live in IN... just very curious!!!

Brewpilot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am also very curious about this. I had a small bar and cigar shop a few years back that wanted to cary my house porter. From what I found out, you will need a alchohol distribution liscence and some other permits that I really can't remember. This is in AZ and I really did not persue it any further.

Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-
-

---------------------------------------------------

Old 11-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

From what I understand, it is almost impossible. Here in Illinois, you cannot distribute your own brew. Every beer that is distributed must go through a licensed distributor. Even the brewer at my local brewpub faced this dilemma when he decided to let his beer be sold out of house. He could not simply carry a keg of his brew to other bars. He has to relinquish them to a distributor who delivers them to other establishments.

As for brewing the beer, I would wager that there is a whole array of licenses and inspections that you'd have to pass in order for your beer to be legal.

You should pick up a book called Brewing Up a Business. It is written by the owner/founder of Dogfishhead. He writes, in this book, about growing his business. He started out making and selling his brews on a ten gallon homebrew system!!!

In other words, it can be done. But I'll bet it is really difficult - not something you do "on the side," so to speak.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

In Oregon, you need to be licensed by the OLCB. Get inspections (surprise ones), pay taxes on volume & alcohol content, get every label approved, etc. Figure 3-5 grand to get going. Distribution is very strange in Oregon. There is a guy in Portland that is making a go on a one barrel system: "Going pro is a good way to turn a great hobby into a job."

I'm certain there is a control board of some sort in Indiana.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 11-12-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Lichens Likes This 
Old 11-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Found this info for Maricopa County in Arizona (this might interest you anthrobe):

License Types: Series 03 Domestic Microbrewery License

Non-transferable
On & off-sale retail privileges
Note: Terms in BOLD CAPITALS are defined in the glossary.

PURPOSE:

Allows the licensee of a microbrewery to manufacture or produce at least ten thousand (10,000) gallons, but less than three hundred ten thousand (310,000) gallons of beer annually.

ADDITIONAL RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

May sell beer produced or manufactured on the premises for consumption on or off the premises, and may make sales and deliveries of beer to persons licensed to sell beer.

May serve beer produced or manufactured on the premises for the purpose of sampling.

Must report annually at the end of each fiscal year the amount of beer manufactured. If the total amount of beer manufactured exceeds the amount permitted by a Series 03 license, the licensee shall apply for and receive a Series 01 license (In-state Producer).

Any CONTROLLING PERSON can have an interest in only one (1) microbrewery and at only one (1) site.

On any original applications, new managers and/or the person responsible for the day-to-day operations must attend a basic and management training class.

A PREGNANCY WARNING SIGN for pregnant women consuming spirituous liquor must be posted within twenty (20) feet of the cash register or behind the bar.

A log must be kept by the licensee of all persons employed at the premises including each employee's name, date and place of birth, address and responsibilities.

AVERAGE APPROVAL TIME: Sixty-five (65) to one-hundred five (105) days.

PERIOD OF ISSUANCE: One (1) year with option to renew.

FEES: Non-refundable application fee: $100.00
Fingerprint fee per card: Contact Department
Interim Permit fee: $100.00

Upon approval:
Final fees (full year): $600.00
Final fees (half year): $450.00
Annual renewal fee (includes SURCHARGE): $370.00

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS:

ARS 4-201, 4-202, 4-203, 4-205.04, 4-209(B)(3), 4-209(D)(3), 4-243, 4-261; Rule R19-1-214, R19-1-250, R19-1-254.

Last edited by Cregar; 11-12-2006 at 12:50 AM.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IOW, another fine example of your bastard sh*tbag government, hard at work, making sure two consenting adults can't trade wares as they see fit.

But, yeah, "land of the free" and all that crap. Right. "Free".

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 AM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not that I'm interested, but if I were, I think I'd have to get another primary or two, huh?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #8
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mmmmm 10,000 gallons of beer on the wall, 10,000 gallons beer... drink one down & pass it around, 9,999 gallons of beer

Old 11-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'll sell you this pint glass for $6, and it comes with a FREE bottle of homebrew!

Old 11-12-2006, 03:51 AM   #10
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cregar
Found this info for Maricopa County in Arizona (this might interest you anthrobe):

License Types: Series 03 Domestic Microbrewery License

Non-transferable
On & off-sale retail privileges
Note: Terms in BOLD CAPITALS are defined in the glossary.

PURPOSE:

Allows the licensee of a microbrewery to manufacture or produce at least ten thousand (10,000) gallons, but less than three hundred ten thousand (310,000) gallons of beer annually.

ADDITIONAL RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

May sell beer produced or manufactured on the premises for consumption on or off the premises, and may make sales and deliveries of beer to persons licensed to sell beer.

May serve beer produced or manufactured on the premises for the purpose of sampling.

Must report annually at the end of each fiscal year the amount of beer manufactured. If the total amount of beer manufactured exceeds the amount permitted by a Series 03 license, the licensee shall apply for and receive a Series 01 license (In-state Producer).

Any CONTROLLING PERSON can have an interest in only one (1) microbrewery and at only one (1) site.

On any original applications, new managers and/or the person responsible for the day-to-day operations must attend a basic and management training class.

A PREGNANCY WARNING SIGN for pregnant women consuming spirituous liquor must be posted within twenty (20) feet of the cash register or behind the bar.

A log must be kept by the licensee of all persons employed at the premises including each employee's name, date and place of birth, address and responsibilities.

AVERAGE APPROVAL TIME: Sixty-five (65) to one-hundred five (105) days.

PERIOD OF ISSUANCE: One (1) year with option to renew.

FEES: Non-refundable application fee: $100.00
Fingerprint fee per card: Contact Department
Interim Permit fee: $100.00

Upon approval:
Final fees (full year): $600.00
Final fees (half year): $450.00
Annual renewal fee (includes SURCHARGE): $370.00

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS:

ARS 4-201, 4-202, 4-203, 4-205.04, 4-209(B)(3), 4-209(D)(3), 4-243, 4-261; Rule R19-1-214, R19-1-250, R19-1-254.
Let's not forget that you probably will also have to deal with State Government rules, and maybe pay THEM as well as all the money you have forked over to the couty.

Why all this regulation? Bottom line: money. Uncle Sam, the state and all the local entities that regulate alcohol sales all want their share of the tax dollars generated by the sale.

Quick Reply