Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > LHBS Prices... First time not buying a kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
TBaGZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I might ask... He knows he has ya by the balls though unless you order online because he is the only shop around. He really rubbed me wrong when it took asking for a price 3 times and all I got was the basic prices instead of an exact price on what I was asking for. I emailed back saying so I am looking at $38, and he replied yeah somewhere around there. If I tell you exactly what I need you should be able to tell me exactly what it costs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Those prices seem fairly typical for an average LHBS. Some are cheaper and some are more expensive. I don't know about anyone else but I don't shop at LHBS's for the price, I do it for the experience, comradery, and the support of local small business. There is an awesome home brew shop in Alabama that was my local shop for a few years. The owner and his wife are so damn cool that I would have paid double an online company for their ingredients. The local brew club meets in the shop after closings once a month and the owner is a member of the club. Everyone in the area shops there and the conversations that arise in there are extremely educational. I miss the crap out of that shop.

Now on the other hand. I recently moved to Atlanta and the shops I've been to so far are so so. I was used to picking out, weighing, and milling my own ingredients in AL. In GA they do it all for you. One place does it in a back room so you'd never even know if they screwed up your order till it was too late. The prices are higher here. Yeast is 6.5 or so a vial. AL it was 5. Hops are sold in 1oz packets instead of weighed out. The workers seem cool, but I don't know if I'll ever really get to know any of them.

It all comes down to the business itself. I wouldn't shop at a brew shop if the business was poor or if the owners/management had attitudes, regardless of pricing. But, if the company is good (as in both business company and other people company) I'd be willing to overlook some edgy pricing.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #13
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I'll just wait 4-5 days for shipping to brew instead of bothering to check the LHBS anymore.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
I'll just wait 4-5 days for shipping to brew instead of bothering to check the LHBS anymore.
That's such a bummer. Kinda makes me want to open a brew shop and do it the right way. I have never in my three years of brewing, ordered ingredients online. I hope to keep it that way. There's something about being able to walk into a brick and mortar shop, pick up what you need like a good chef would, and brew the same day...or the next after making a starter.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #15
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Prices at Rebel Brewer were great until I added shipping to south west Florida.... Then not so great. $15 to ship $20 in grain and hops.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Those prices are really bad. I pay $1.09 for base malt unmilled (1.19 milled). Specialty malts vary, but your typical crystal malt is $1.69 /lb. hops are $1.99/oz

Those are fair to me. If I buy 2row in bulk it's $45/sack, so the prices are pretty good

Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Well seems like no matter what site I go to, by the time I add in shipping the price is the same as going down to this shop.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
dford
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Brewmasters Warehouse is who I use most of the time. Its cheaper for me to pay shipping than drive to town even if there was a lhbs which there isn't. I placed an order Wednesday at noon and it was on my porch the next morning. You couldn't ask for anything better than that. I'll be brewing this weekend !

Life is a journey. Make sure and bring plenty of Beer.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ View Post
Well seems like no matter what site I go to, by the time I add in shipping the price is the same as going down to this shop.
Order 2 batches at a time from a site with flat rate shipping, like BMW or Northern

Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
That's such a bummer. Kinda makes me want to open a brew shop and do it the right way. I have never in my three years of brewing, ordered ingredients online. I hope to keep it that way. There's something about being able to walk into a brick and mortar shop, pick up what you need like a good chef would, and brew the same day...or the next after making a starter.
I know what you mean, the closest to me though is 1.5 hours drive each way. I do go there on once in awhile. The customer service is very spotty, some very helpful and freindly some barely speak to you.

Quick Reply