Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > LHBS Pet Peeves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
If they're willing to do special orders for customers that's a nice thing, but it doesn't do alot for a business's bottom line, especially a small business (unless it gets you to buy more off the shelf products and increases your return frequency to the store).
There's a business term for it but, for example, grocery stores sell some items close to cost, maybe even under cost, JUST so they get people in the door shopping there. Then they buy the rest of their groceries there and the store makes their profit. I've even read that often gas station/convenience stores sell gas essentially at cost just so people stop and get gas...and a few sodas, and a coffee, and a pack of smokes, and some beer, and some chips, etc.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #22
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

My main problem is distance. The closest shop is 25 miles (and only has a limited selection of dried yeast, no liquid) and the closest good shop is 50.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
There's a business term for it but, for example, grocery stores sell some items close to cost, maybe even under cost, JUST so they get people in the door shopping there. Then they buy the rest of their groceries there and the store makes their profit. I've even read that often gas station/convenience stores sell gas essentially at cost just so people stop and get gas...and a few sodas, and a coffee, and a pack of smokes, and some beer, and some chips, etc.
Ya, it's called a loss leader.

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
I've never been to any of the HBS in Chicago, I don't have a car. Which shop is also a brewery, I'd like to check that out next time I'm in the burbs if possible.
2 dick head brothers

B&G in the city blows also

Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #25
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgburdman9 View Post
Columbus, OH. The store is called the winemakers shop and they have been around since 1974. The owners husband is the brewmaster at barleys brewing company.

Which probably means they are getting their grains even cheaper than a typical HBS. Time to stop going there.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #26
Evan
Recipes 

I go to My Old Kentucky Homebrew, its right next to work and they are open till 7 during the week. I like the place, grain and yeast prices are good, hops might be a little higher but not much. i mostly buy my hops in bulk anyway, so that doesnt matter so much.

if i had a complaint, it'd be lack of kegging supplies. I think he is getting more stuff in as he figures out what people are wanting. but its a new shop, he has really worked hard to get new people into brewing.

Primary 1: British IPA
Primary 2: Air

Tap 1: Drunk Elf Christmas Ale
Tap 2: Winfield Bitter (WLP002)
Tap 3: UFO Stout
Tap 4: Winfield Bitter (WLP013)

Kegged: FLP Wheat

Coming up: Citra Pale Ale

Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #27
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

DeFalco's is pretty good to me. I can't say I have any serious peeves. I do get a bit tweaked if I go in there and they are out of a common grain or yeast, as well as common substitutes, and I have to either delay brewing or reformulate fairly seriously on the fly. That RARELY happens, though (maybe once every couple years or so), and is just due to one of those times that the swarm of locusts descends and consumes everything. The store can't really plan for that!

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #28
Trevor57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
I've never been to any of the HBS in Chicago, I don't have a car. Which shop is also a brewery, I'd like to check that out next time I'm in the burbs if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
2 dick head brothers

B&G in the city blows also
LOL I didn't want to call them out but..... yeah. They have a brewpub, which I have heard is good. Although I went to a tasting of theirs and didn't like any of their beers, not that they were poor quality, just none I liked. The 2 ingredients kits I bought from them had the wrong ingredients, and didn't taste good.

Acronyms are FS

Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #29
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a few complaints...

1.) The owners wrote a few Brewing books, which on almost all the forums everyone laughs at. When I talk to them about a recipe that I formulated or got off one of the very respected brewer's (Jamil Z, Denny Conn) they act like its terrible and that it will never be good.

2.) I share my successes and failures with them. They chalk my successes up to them helping me, which btw they have no clue when it comes to proper yeast pitching rate or fermentation temp. My failures are because I'm stupid apprently.

3.) Prices are generally high... as high as $4 for belgian malts and $3 for germans all the time... 2-row is always $2
Hops usually for 2 oz bags it costs me $5-$7
Yeast Propogator $6 Activator $7
Dry yeast is cheap $2.50
Their carboys are rediculously expensive... 6.5g corny for $50

I just hate the Holier-than-thou-attitude the most... They compete in competitions but they don't often win any huge awards. They scoff at Jamil Z and Denny Conn, when they don't know them... I guess its just a mindset...

Old 10-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
mindcrime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
DeFalco's is pretty good to me. I can't say I have any serious peeves. I do get a bit tweaked if I go in there and they are out of a common grain or yeast, as well as common substitutes, and I have to either delay brewing or reformulate fairly seriously on the fly. That RARELY happens, though (maybe once every couple years or so), and is just due to one of those times that the swarm of locusts descends and consumes everything. The store can't really plan for that!

TL
I live near Houston as well, and can vouch for DeFalcos.

I happen to live in the far north side though, so my regular LHBS is the relatively new Brew It Yourself off I-45 in Spring. I love it. The proprietor, Ray, is a really friendly guy, passionate about brewing. Very knowledgeable, and Ive never had a bad piece of advice from him. His stock is great. I very rarely can't find something I need, and if he's out, he'll reorder just for you and drop you a line when the product is in. He's also responsive via email if I'm looking for something particularly obscure. His dry yeast selection is complete, and liquid is very good.

Pet peave?

Hes only open till 5:30 some nights, 6 pm on Thurs/Fri, and I occasionally have trouble getting there after work. But, he's open all day Saturday, so no harm no foul!

Quick Reply