Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > LHBS Pet Peeves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
elmetal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

jesus christ. that's crazy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
Trevor57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My local shop is also a brewery, and kind of gave up on the shop when their beer became more popular. I actually drive past it to go to a decent place. At least the Chicago burbs have a couple good shops. Just a further drive.

Acronyms are FS

Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

My local shop has apparently cut its hours to closing at 5:30 sometime recently. I just can't make that anymore. They're 45 minutes away and I get off work at 5PM. I'm too far in the opposite direction on Saturdays to make it out there. They're closed Sunday. Sadly, I had to place an order online this past go-around and will have to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. And I hate that because they're a great shop with a very good selection.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AHS is a pretty amazing place to shop online imo

Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I am soooo thankful to have Niagara Tradition as my LHBS. They are four minutes down the street from me and have almost everything I could need.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 10-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any retail operator with any sort of "sales" ability will (and smartly so) always try and persuade his/her customers into purchasing items "off the floor". That's just smart business. The smaller the business, the less likely they're going to have a huge selection, and the more likely the redirection. If they're willing to do special orders for customers that's a nice thing, but it doesn't do alot for a business's bottom line, especially a small business (unless it gets you to buy more off the shelf products and increases your return frequency to the store).

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
sp1365
Recipes 

My LHBS (at least when I am at school) is decent, but only sells base grain in bulk or specialty grain in 1 pound increments. This wouldnt be a problem except I do 2.5 gallon batches and do not have a grain mill. I have a hard time buying and grind 1 pound of Chocolate malt when I am going to use at most 1-2 oz of it. I still get my hops and yeast from them. I usually get my grains from AHS, but my recent order is kinda aggravating me.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
bgburdman9
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
That's also price gouging IMO. The yeast should be no more than $7.50 max and hops around $2.50/oz depending on variety and form. Where are you located? Do these shops actually have any repeat customers? With all the online shop competition I don't see how they stay in business. A reasonable profit they deserve, but not obscene profit.
Columbus, OH. The store is called the winemakers shop and they have been around since 1974. The owners husband is the brewmaster at barleys brewing company.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor57 View Post
My local shop is also a brewery, and kind of gave up on the shop when their beer became more popular. I actually drive past it to go to a decent place. At least the Chicago burbs have a couple good shops. Just a further drive.
I've never been to any of the HBS in Chicago, I don't have a car. Which shop is also a brewery, I'd like to check that out next time I'm in the burbs if possible.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 10-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
dfohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgburdman9 View Post
Columbus, OH. The store is called the winemakers shop and they have been around since 1974. The owners husband is the brewmaster at barleys brewing company.
I went to The Winemakers Shop once about a year ago and I will never go again.

I had just moved into Columbus and found the place by doing an internet search. I walked in and the lady was sitting behind the desk reading her book and never looked up to greet me. I walked up and told her I was new in town and was checking out the LHBS's and asked if they had a product sheet/price sheet. She said no, and then went on for 5 minutes completely bashing the other LHBS in town. Her main point was that she was a real store and not some pizza place...She then proceeded to charge me 5+ dollars for an ounce of Willamette.

I really hate to bash, but this lady has a severe superiority complex. Instead of deciding to help me or get to know me, she wasted my time by bashing another business.

Primary: Citrus Wheat Experiment/WLP029 & WYEAST 1056
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Bottle: Empty

Quick Reply