Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lets send CRAIGTUBE some beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 AM   #21
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Yeah that is my understanding as well, the standard coopers lager has an ale yeast included. I heard that the special (European & Mexican) lagers have a yeast included that is a mix of both ale and lager, go figure!
Doesn't that just make perfect sense though? You buy these kits that allow you to mix syrup with water, pour yeast in, and then bottle a couple of weeks later. It really is brewing for 1) people who don't give a crap or 2) people who don't give a crap.

It almost seems like hooch to me.

With that said, I know that there are a ton of great brewers out there who are passionate about not only the drinking, but also the brewing process and the science behind it, who started by using those kits.

I just don't quite understand the guys who stick with it.

Once again, I'm not trying to convert anyone, I just don't personally understand it.

<----ranting,
J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #22
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Doesn't that just make perfect sense though? You buy these kits that allow you to mix syrup with water, pour yeast in, and then bottle a couple of weeks later. It really is brewing for 1) people who don't give a crap or 2) people who don't give a crap.

It almost seems like hooch to me.

With that said, I know that there are a ton of great brewers out there who are passionate about not only the drinking, but also the brewing process and the science behind it, who started by using those kits.

I just don't quite understand the guys who stick with it.
I think there is catagory 3) People who can't give a crap, which is the catagory I fall into. At the moment I don't have the time or money (just ignore those kegs over there) to invest in more equipment. I am looking at how I can get into AG the cheapest, easiest and most cost effective (in terms of reusability when I upgrade eventually). At the moment my plan is to make a electric keggle with a 3kW element for BIAB setup, then extend this to a 2 keggle RIMS setup. You never know I might be up a running with AG by the end of the year.........hopefully!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I was able to go to all grain by buying some copper pipe and using an old cooler. I didn't even cut a hole in the cooler. The propane burner I borrow from my Aunt and Uncle, but even if I had to buy that, you can get one very cheap. AG is not expensive to get into. If you get mixed up in all the equipment builds then yes it gets expensive. Sometimes people seem to be more into making beer stuff than beer. Which is fine, everyone has their own reasons for being in this or other hobbies. So do not be afraid to go AG before you can build a fully automatic polished SS system.

All you really need is something to soak grain in and something to boil wort in. It may not be perfect, but it will be delicious.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch171 View Post
AG is not expensive to get into.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I think there is catagory 3) People who can't give a crap, which is the catagory I fall into. At the moment I don't have the time or money (just ignore those kegs over there) to invest in more equipment. I am looking at how I can get into AG the cheapest, easiest and most cost effective (in terms of reusability when I upgrade eventually). At the moment my plan is to make a electric keggle with a 3kW element for BIAB setup, then extend this to a 2 keggle RIMS setup. You never know I might be up a running with AG by the end of the year.........hopefully!

I completely understand people who don't have the space to do AG batches, but I think you're thinking of a system a bit more "grand" than most of us use. I don't have some fancy RIMS system. I have a kettle, propane burner, and a cooler with a manifold inside of it. Works great and have been using it for years. I'd say total it's around a $100-$200 investment depending on which type of cooler, propane burner, and kettle you decide to go with.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
I'm not so sure there's a lot of truth in brewing AG being economical. Sure, it's cheaper to buy the ingredients, but it takes a while to offset mash tuns, big kettle, patio burner, propane, whirlfloc, hell, even time.

Someone posted on here once: Saving money on beer by brewing your own is like saving money on fish by buying a boat.
This is an absolute myth. The only thing you need in AG that you don't need in Extract is a mash tun and a grain mill, and a mash tun that can do 5g of 1.060 can be done for under $35, and a Corona is $20.

At the $8-10 a batch it costs me, the $55 was paid back in the 2nd batch.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #26
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
This is an absolute myth. The only thing you need in AG that you don't need in Extract is a mash tun and a grain mill, and a mash tun that can do 5g of 1.060 can be done for under $35, and a Corona is $20.

At the $8-10 a batch it costs me, the $55 was paid back in the 2nd batch.
You don't need a grain mill either, if you don't mind letting your HBS grind it (I buy online, and get good crush from them), though with a mill you can bulk-buy grain.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that not everyone wants to make "craft beer." There's nothing wrong with the Cooper's kits. Of course going PM or AG gives you more flexibility and the ability to control more variables, but if he loves the homebrew he makes with Cooper's kits, bully for him. As an AG beer geek, I have to remind myself that I brew like that as a hobby, not as an ethical imperative. For the record, I'm never going back.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Let's just leave Craig alone. Some of our members here have been pretty nasty and rude to him in the past, not just on here, but on his channel.

He is perfectly happy doing doing it the way he does. He's not dumb and not unaware of Ag, extract with grains, reading a hydrometer, etc. In fact some of you have pretty trollishly informed him of "the right way of doing things."

Enough already. It's like every few months a bunch of noobs on here "discovers" him, and delights in this kind of stuff.

Craig is purely brewing his beer because it is cheaper to make those kits than it is to buy the quantity of beer he consumes at the LCBO's in his part of Canada. And he's not into the craft side of this hobby to do it any differently....

He simply doesn't want to work that hard. Can't you understand that?

So instead of acting like a bunch of 15 year old twits, and trolling him, or picking on him, why the heck don't you just let him brew the beer the way HE wants to, and YOU ALL Go AND DO THE SAME?

There's enough room in this amazingly great hobby for EVERYONE, no matter at what level they are at, or why they chose to do it the way they do.

He's fully content with where he's at, and amazingly has managed to keep his chin up and keep youtubing despite what some of OUR OWN MEMBERS, have done to him. Sometimes it makes me embarrased to say I'm a part of Homebrewtalk.

You know, there are enough "battles" in brewing and beer culture as it is, including trying to lose the stigma that all beer is BMC, and all drinkers of it, as well as brewers are just a bunch of drunks, and rednecks and frat boys....and Trolling a fellow brewer doesn't elevate us in most folks eyes.

We need to be good Ambassadors of Brewing and Beer Culture, and instead of expending the energy you do on picking on him, and trolling him, you could be present a positive light on the hobby.

/rant

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Styles Likes This 
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #28
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Let's just leave Craig alone. Some of our members here have been pretty nasty and rude to him in the past, not just on here, but on his channel.

He is perfectly happy doing doing it the way he does. He's not dumb and not unaware of Ag, extract with grains, reading a hydrometer, etc. In fact some of you have pretty trollishly informed him of "the right way of doing things."

Enough already. It's like every few months a bunch of noobs on here "discovers" him, and delights in this kind of stuff.

Craig is purely brewing his beer because it is cheaper to make those kits than it is to buy the quantity of beer he consumes at the LCBO's in his part of Canada. And he's not into the craft side of this hobby to do it any differently....

He simply doesn't want to work that hard. Can't you understand that?

So instead of acting like a bunch of 15 year old twits, and trolling him, or picking on him, why the heck don't you just let him brew the beer the way HE wants to, and YOU ALL Go AND DO THE SAME?

There's enough room in this amazingly great hobby for EVERYONE, no matter at what level they are at, or why they chose to do it the way they do.

He's fully content with where he's at, and amazingly has managed to keep his chin up and keep youtubing despite what some of OUR OWN MEMBERS, have done to him. Sometimes it makes me embarrased to say I'm a part of Homebrewtalk.

You know, there are enough "battles" in brewing and beer culture as it is, including trying to lose the stigma that all beer is BMC, and all drinkers of it, as well as brewers are just a bunch of drunks, and rednecks and frat boys....and Trolling a fellow brewer doesn't elevate us in most folks eyes.

We need to be good Ambassadors of Brewing and Beer Culture, and instead of expending the energy you do on picking on him, and trolling him, you could be present a positive light on the hobby.

/rant
True, but I'm doing no such thing Revvy. I simply wanted to send the guy some brew and the whole conversations went off on a tangent. I've actually talked to him about sending him some of my homebrew and he says that him and his wife have decided that they will not receive any homemade products due to the fact that some nasty person may try to hurt him. But he did say that if I'm ever in his neck of the woods, he would have me over and I told him the same. I think he's a real stand up guy and that he's done nothing but help spread the hobby.

To Mr. Tube,
J

Old 05-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
I' I thought one of the gifts in particular was awesome. Someone sent him a PM kit from morebeer.com which I hope will slowly convert him into at minimum a PM brewer.
But this is the point, why do you feel the need to "convert" him? Who elected you the penultimate decider of what the "right way" to brew is? Or that Pm or AG is the "better" route for him.

Brewing is not his hobby, it's a means to an end for him. Making videos is his hobby, as is playing music, and DRINKING BEER. Brewing Cooper's kits, or whatever they are, works for him. He doesn't need to be preached to, he doesn't need to be converted, he doesn't need someone sending him an AG kit, after how many years of posting videos, don't you think that if he really wanted to go that route, he already would have?

He's obviously computer savvy enough to make videos and post on the internetz, I'm sure he can google "homebrewing" like all of us did, and discovered this place and "How to Brew."

He's doing what he's content with. So I think we should just let him.

I mean I know your hearts in the right place, but still that can't necessarily be said about everyone who posts in this thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #30
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But this is the point, why do you feel the need to "convert" him? Who elected you the penultimate decider of what the "right way" to brew is? Or that Pm or AG is the "better" route for him.

Brewing is not his hobby, it's a means to an end for him. Making videos is his hobby, as is playing music, and DRINKING BEER. Brewing Cooper's kits, or whatever they are, works for him. He doesn't need to be preached to, he doesn't need to be converted, he doesn't need someone sending him an AG kit, after how many years of posting videos, don't you think that if he really wanted to go that route, he already would have?

He's obviously computer savvy enough to make videos and post on the internetz, I'm sure he can google "homebrewing" like all of us did, and discovered this place and "How to Brew."

He's doing what he's content with. So I think we should just let him.

I mean I know your hearts in the right place, but still that can't necessarily be said about everyone who posts in this thread.
Well I suppose I should have explained myself there. My point is that I do know that he started brewing because commercial brews in Canada are a bit pricy. With that said, Ag without question and PM to an extent is more affordable than all extract in a lot of cases. I never questioned the mans intelligence nor did I try to preach to him. Too many folks have done that in the past. So for the reasons I've heard of why he began brewing, I believe PM or AG would be more suitable for him.

J

Quick Reply