Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lets send CRAIGTUBE some beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
ToddO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Umm. No. I think he has enough swill to last a lifetime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
AG is more economical if you consider your time free.....

Not everyone wants to spend 4-5 hours brewing a batch or to have the extra equipment and investments into the hobby.
Agreed.

For argument sake, how much time do you think he spends making those videos?

I bet if he dropped 2 videos/video editing time a week + the time he spends brewing an extract batch, he could brew an AG batch.

Just for argument sake lol.

I completely agree that you can make great, easy, fast extract brews, and if that's what your into, more power to you.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Erythro73
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, but he's passionate about making videos and posting them online on YouTube. It is his hobby. It's like if I said "HalfPint. Quit homebrewing and go write some poems. I bet you came make some very good poems if you take all that time spent on homebrewing and spend it on poetry".

He just isn't a beer passionate and thus, it's understandable that he doesn't make that step to AG.

P.S. I assume you're not poem-passionated.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erythro73 View Post
Yes, but he's passionate about making videos and posting them online on YouTube. It is his hobby. It's like if I said "HalfPint. Quit homebrewing and go write some poems. I bet you came make some very good poems if you take all that time spent on homebrewing and spend it on poetry".

He just isn't a beer passionate and thus, it's understandable that he doesn't make that step to AG.

P.S. I assume you're not poem-passionated.
Actually, I have a masters in Creative Writing.

I understand what you're saying completely. It's like telling someone to stop doing something they enjoy very much. It just doesn't make sense.

P.S.

I don't have a masters in creative writing.

J

Old 05-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've watched several of his videos and he mentions that one of the reasons why he doesn't do all grain is because he lives far from any hbs and shipping grain is really expensive in Canada. I think at one point he said that shipping enough grain for one batch would be almost 40 bucks in shipping expense. He seems to really like his Coopers anyway though and good for him.

One thing I don't understand is that he is always making the Coopers lager but he puts a heat belt on the bucket and only lets it set for 2 weeks. He uses the yeast pack thats taped to the top of the can so I assume he's using lager yeast. I wonder what those taste like?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Agreed.

For argument sake, how much time do you think he spends making those videos?

I bet if he dropped 2 videos/video editing time a week + the time he spends brewing an extract batch, he could brew an AG batch.

Just for argument sake lol.

I completely agree that you can make great, easy, fast extract brews, and if that's what your into, more power to you.
True point. Video editing does take time but he posts many different types of videos such as his musical talents. So like others have said his videos are a hobby as well. That's what I like about homebrew is that you can go as little or as deep as you want to into the hobby.

I myself love AG.....

Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #17
mparmer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The thing is that some AG guy's have been mean in their comments about his methods, they really shouldn't do that. Love and peace, love and peace. Let the dude do his thing, I do AG but I still learn from him.

Having trouble remembering life before homebrewing.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 AM   #18
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
...One thing I don't understand is that he is always making the Coopers lager but he puts a heat belt on the bucket and only lets it set for 2 weeks. He uses the yeast pack thats taped to the top of the can so I assume he's using lager yeast. I wonder what those taste like?
It is my understanding that most kit "lagers" are not really lagers or use lager yeast. They are ales that will taste similar to lager. At least this is how it was explained to me somewhere by someone...

Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #19
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch171 View Post
It is my understanding that most kit "lagers" are not really lagers or use lager yeast. They are ales that will taste similar to lager. At least this is how it was explained to me somewhere by someone...
Yeah that is my understanding as well, the standard coopers lager has an ale yeast included. I heard that the special (European & Mexican) lagers have a yeast included that is a mix of both ale and lager, go figure!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #20
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm not so sure there's a lot of truth in brewing AG being economical. Sure, it's cheaper to buy the ingredients, but it takes a while to offset mash tuns, big kettle, patio burner, propane, whirlfloc, hell, even time.

Someone posted on here once: Saving money on beer by brewing your own is like saving money on fish by buying a boat.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Quick Reply