*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lets Make Useful Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
dham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lets Make Useful Brewing Software

I have been lurking this forum for a while now and have been really excited about getting into homebrewing. My favorite beer has always been Guinness, but after reading the thread today about how after homebrewing for a while some people have reported Guinness tasting like water, I decided I need to get started ASAP. Unfortunately I do not have enough money budgeted today to buy the initial equipment and ingredients to brew, but I have a strategy.

I know how to program, so I think I can make something that is either valuable enough to a few of you out there to pitch a few bucks my way, or maybe just collect some money from ads to support my brewing hobby.

An initial thought I had was an Android phone application that reads in a BeerXML recipe (like from beersmith) and sets up all the timers you need on brew day.

Then I thought it would be even cooler if I made a website that could be accessed from any phone (android, iphone, windows mobile) or any computer (windows, linux, mac, ipad) that could read in a BeerXML recipe and start some timers from the webpage (and shoot you a text message or something to let you know when the timer is up). Maybe this webpage could also someday let you tweak and create recipes once I learn more about how that process works from my own brewing days . There are probably 1000 more exciting things that it could eventually do.

Anyway, you all are the pro's, so tell me what your thoughts on those two things (what you like, don't like, would you use it, would you pay for it?). I also encourage you to speak up about any interesting things you think would be useful to the homebrewing crowd. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been working on a more comprehensive brewing application that introduces inventory and cost accounting into a brew-day management capability similar to what you describe, backed by recipe and ingredient library management capabilities and a basic MRP tool. Sounds like a lot but it all will fit nicely into a single interface that is very intuitive. I'm looking for collaborators on the project. If you are interested, it's a C# code base and I'd be happy to talk to you offline. Send me a PM with Phone# and I will call you.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Ravio11i
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've been using "Brewzor" for my droid for some of this but it is a little clunky, something to look at though. I'll certainly watch for and check out your software, I'm always looking for new apps.
Rav

...stupid people don't need to be given special rights, if they can't figure out that putting their hand in something labeled "crusher" is a bad idea then let them do it. by all means give them a stool so they can reach.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If anyone who knows how to code cared to write a program/module that could seamlessly translate ProMash files (*.rec, *.brw) to BeerXML and vice versa that would be a really cool feature for me. I really love ProMash, but it's so out of date (and has no mobile platform version). I can live with the few bugs it has b/c so far I've not found anything comparable that allows you to take session/brew notes within the (separate) file (*.brw) that represents each brew day.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The biggest problem I see with brewing software is that the developers lose interest over time. Eventually someone will develop an open source program that can read other formats (ProMash, Beersmith, etc) and it will take over like wildfire. I say get it started

if god wanted us to drink beer, she would have given us stomachs

Old 03-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
The biggest problem I see with brewing software is that the developers lose interest over time. Eventually someone will develop an open source program that can read other formats (ProMash, Beersmith, etc) and it will take over like wildfire. I say get it started
+1...ProMash hasn't been updated in ????...I had heard on another board that someone in the developer's family (? wife) had been extremely ill, which is why the product stopped being updated. I wonder if the developer would be willing to sell to an interested party...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 03-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Um. brewtarget? Open source, Qt based. You need to know C++, MVC and Qt. I learned all three on the fly pretty much while fixing some of the rough spots. As almost any open source project will state, patches are always welcome.

I hadn't thought much about trying to reverse engineer the native formats for the other programs. Hmmm. That has some interesting possibilities.

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 03-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sweet, I didn't know that it's open source. I'll have to check it out, I'm no expert but know a little C++

if god wanted us to drink beer, she would have given us stomachs

Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by dham View Post

Unfortunately I do not have enough money budgeted today to buy the initial equipment and ingredients to brew, but I have a strategy.

I know how to program, so I think I can make something that is either valuable enough to a few of you out there to pitch a few bucks my way, or maybe just collect some money from ads to support my brewing hobby.
If you're going to expect any payment from any of our members, you'll have to become a Vendor here on the site. Offering something to earn a few bucks makes you a Vendor.

You're welcome to stay on the forum and talk about brewing, and browse the forum, but if you plan on selling anything you'll have to become a Vendor.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have an excel spreadsheet that can most of this already, would anyone like a copy? I work for a large software company and there is no need to create a piece of software for grainbills, formulas calculation, and batch tracking. there are plenty of porgrams out there that already do this. Just need to learn how to use them.

Quick Reply