Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Leipziger Gose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had a Berliner Weisse when I was in Germany a few weeks back and I have to say that I wasn't impressed much. It certainly has to be drunken with syrup. Otherwise it is just to sour. It also has a fairly thin taste that I didn't like much.

Another German sour beer, the Leipziger Gose, impressed me more. This beer has more malt flavor to it and though it is mostly served with syrup as well, I though it was also very nice without. It reminds me of a Bavarian wheat beer without the yeast funk but a sour note to it. Here is a picture I took:

But sour beers seem notoriously difficult to make. I still have to try to make one, but controlling the amount of sourness that goes in must be daunting. I wonder if it makes sense to set about a gallon of wort aside and ferment it with only lacto bacillus and then use this to sour the main batch that was fermented with only yeast.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
I had a Berliner Weisse when I was in Germany a few weeks back and I have to say that I wasn't impressed much. It certainly has to be drunken with syrup. Otherwise it is just to sour. It also has a fairly thin taste that I didn't like much.

Another German sour beer, the Leipziger Gose, impressed me more. This beer has more malt flavor to it and though it is mostly served with syrup as well, I though it was also very nice without. It reminds me of a Bavarian wheat beer without the yeast funk but a sour note to it. Here is a picture I took:

But sour beers seem notoriously difficult to make. I still have to try to make one, but controlling the amount of sourness that goes in must be daunting. I wonder if it makes sense to set about a gallon of wort aside and ferment it with only lacto bacillus and then use this to sour the main batch that was fermented with only yeast.

Kai
The other way that people talk about controlling the sourness is to do a sour mash; let it get as sour as you want it in the mash tun (overnight, two days, whatever), then boil and stop the bacteria, ferment it out with only yeast.

Is the Gose the beer that's also brewed with corriander and salt?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
The other way that people talk about controlling the sourness is to do a sour mash; let it get as sour as you want it in the mash tun (overnight, two days, whatever), then boil and stop the bacteria, ferment it out with only yeast.
I don't know what I should think about the sour mash. If you want it sour enough so you can tase the sourness, the pH will drop well below 5.0 and you should have conversion problems beacause the amylase enzymes are inhibited at to low of a pH. But it seems to work for brewers .

Another way would be to add sour wort to the boil. At this point you are not messing with the mash pH. Only the hop extraction will be affected, which isn't a bad thing for these sour beers. The other benefit is, that you are killing all the lacto bacteria and don't have to worry about them in your fermentation vessels.

Quote:
No, this is still brewed to the Reinheitsgebot. There are no spices in. To brew a sour beer according to the RHG you need to culture the lacto bazillus from the malt, which has plenty.

Kai

Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
No, this is still brewed to the Reinheitsgebot. There are no spices in. To brew a sour beer according to the RHG you need to culture the lacto bazillus from the malt, which has plenty.

Kai

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Gose

So, are there some versions of Gose that ARE brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot, and some that are not?

EDIT: I need to search Wikipedia more often,

Quote:
Gose beers are brewed with at least 50% of the grain bill being malted wheat. Because of the use of coriander and salt, Gose does not comply to the Reinheitsgebot. It is allowed an exemption from the rules on the grounds of being a regional speciality. It acquires its characteristic sourness through the addition of lactic acid bacteria after the boil.
This is obviously a beer I've never been able to sample, so I'm curious whether the corriander/salt is not present in some examples, or what...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 11-29-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What he ment Kai is after collecting your runnings you add a handful of crushed grain. Let it sit for a while and then strain and boil as usual.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Yeah, that's what I meant!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
I think you mean Geuze, which is a Belgian beer.

Kai

Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Gose

So, are there some versions of Gose that ARE brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot, and some that are not?
Hmm, I didn't know that. I didn't taste any coriander in the one I had. But I was also not looking for it.

Kai

Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Geuze is an unblended lambic, IIRC.

Landhoney's doing a lot of REALLY cool experimental batches, including a Gose. Take a look at this:

(Then take a look at his experiment with spontanous fermentation here.)

EDIT: Err... a BLENDED lambic

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #10
Kaiser

Recipes 

Default Leipziger Gose

This is simply a continuation of the discussion in the Berliner Weisse Therad:

Here is some information about a small brewery that brews Gose: http://www.gose.de/english/willkommen/

I still have to confirm the use of coriander though.

Kai

Quick Reply