Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Damonic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought a 12'er of the Leine Nut Brown last week... unfortunatly. I think its terrible so I've been using it to wash down food instead of actually enjoying the taste. The Goose Island is much better IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
alex_wilkosz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

most all leinies is nasty. shummer shandy is straight up disquisting and this is adequate at best. they need to take it up a notch and create a good beer. if i have to drink leinies ill wash it down with some food

Old 11-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
bmorris1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

tasted like a like chocolate zima to me... and I've been known to drink some *cheap* beers...

Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
Cheap additives, fermenting with a lager yeast, then calling it a craft ale. What the hell is that!?
They don't make ales or call any of their beers an ale. But they do call themselves a craft brewery.

I was actually on the Leinies tour a couple weeks ago and asked about what's in the brown, but they wouldn't give any specifics. I do not like the nut brown at all. SWMBO does, go figure. I think it's too sweet, has a maple/hazelnut finish that's just offputting. Too creamy, and just not enjoyable. There is most certainly nothing "nut brown" about it. Their Creamy Dark is their only good brew IMHO. I used to enjoy their red and honey weiss when I was a student at the UW, but I've grown up and so have my tastes.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
They don't make ales or call any of their beers an ale.
sunset wheat, honey weiss, berry weiss, red, nut brown, and summer shandy.

The people they are selling these beers, think they are drinking wheat beers, nut browns, reds, and shandy. Those should all be ales, but these beers are not. That is my point, and I think it is a travesty.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

The people they are selling these beers, think they are drinking wheat beers, nut browns, reds, and shandy. Those should all be ales, but these beers are not. That is my point, and I think it is a travesty.
It's all just High Life with some artificial flavorigs. Their Red tastes like an MGD to me. I have to admit, I don't dislike the Fireside Nut Brown, but I probably won't buy it again. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either, the way I see most of their beers, not bad, but not worth spending the money on again. Although my wife does like the Berry Weiss.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

I completely agree with you, I'm just saying they don't have "ale" on any of the labels. To the same degree, they don't have "lager" labeled on most of their beers either. I was very surpsised when I asked them what temps they ferment their beers at I was told 54. I asked, "what about the ales" and was told "we only produce lagers." I had to look at their poster of labels because I could swear I "knew" I had an ale of theirs.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 11-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #18
Rottnme
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd call any Leinies a gateway beer. None of it is great but it is a step up from BMC.

At first taste I thought the nutbrown was okay, it definately has something interesting going on. So when I found it on tap I had to try one and by the end of that one beer I can tell you that I will never have another. It just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter until you can't stand it any longer.

Now, I may not yet be a great brewer but I'd rather have a homebrew.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #19
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I tried the Leinie's Nut Brown. I am normally OK with Leinie's beers ... the Creamy Dark and the Red are good, IMO, the Sunset and the Shandy and blah blah are all ... okay, but not great .... but SWMBO loves them.

The Nut Brown... *sigh* ... I did not like it at all. It tasted cloying to me, very slick mouthfeel, very extract-y (flavoring, not malt extract) ...... The hazelnut was way too strong..... It tasted like they used 3# of Maltodextrin in a 5g batch.... it was just WAY out of balance, in my opinion!!!

WILL NOT buy it again... I'll stick to the Creamy Dark, I love that stuff. Good drinkin' beers right there.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnme View Post
Now, I may not yet be a great brewer but I'd rather have a homebrew.
Don't worry neither are they...

FWIW I've met one of the Leinie's brothers and he was an ****ing **** wad.

Quick Reply