Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Legal Age to Brew?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #31
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3337 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2841

Rdwhahb&dbad!

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #32
kidsmakeyoucrazy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before homebrew equipment/ingredients become age-regulated.

I'm unaware of any jurisdiction that already does this, but I can certainly see why HBS would want to card people to avoid the possible liability that a minor homebrewed, got drunk on it, died/seriously injured themselves/killed or injured somebody else, and gets a nice lawsuit and/or criminal prosecution. Would a jury distinguish between selling a 12 pack of coors to a minor and selling a minor the tools to make an unlimited supply of beer? Maybe, maybe not.
The fact that anyone would think this is a good idea is what is wrong with this country. Not bashing you, but I can already see some politician looking for something the media can latch onto and trying to regulate the purchase of plastic buckets and grain. I actually hope it happens because I will do my best to make sure that politician looks like a complete ass.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #33
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I am pretty sure that this will not happen. Homebrewing has been around for a very long time and is no threat. It would also be way too hard to regulate all of these ingredients.

I don't remember anyone I went to high school with who actually did this and accomplished anything as well. Obviously it happens, but I haven't heard many horror stories behind it.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #34
Corkster
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsmakeyoucrazy View Post
....I will do my best to make sure that politician looks like a complete ass.
Chances are, if he's a politician, you won't have to work hard to make him look like an ass... he'll do a fine job all by himself.

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #35
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsmakeyoucrazy View Post
The fact that anyone would think this is a good idea is what is wrong with this country. Not bashing you, but I can already see some politician looking for something the media can latch onto and trying to regulate the purchase of plastic buckets and grain. I actually hope it happens because I will do my best to make sure that politician looks like a complete ass.
Not saying I want it to happen, just pointing out an unfortunate possibility. One I do not want to see happen...

It would actually be pretty easy to regulate at the storefront level. HBS would have to card people to buy anything related to beermaking or any items that they knew the customer would use to make beer. They would regulate it pretty much the same as beer sales at a grocery store.

It only takes a few ridiculous news stories showing 19 year olds getting drunk on homebrew and getting into an accident or confuse homebrewing with distilling and all the panicked parent groups would be writing their representatives asking for regulation.

Ridiculous, of course, but we're also a nation that banned alcohol over moral issues...

Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #36
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It really only takes an over zealous Alcohol Control Board, for which there would be little recourse.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #37
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Even if you could require HBSs to card, each of the ingredients can be legally purchased anywhere else.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #38
kidsmakeyoucrazy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Not saying I want it to happen, just pointing out an unfortunate possibility. One I do not want to see happen...

It would actually be pretty easy to regulate at the storefront level. HBS would have to card people to buy anything related to beermaking or any items that they knew the customer would use to make beer. They would regulate it pretty much the same as beer sales at a grocery store.

It only takes a few ridiculous news stories showing 19 year olds getting drunk on homebrew and getting into an accident or confuse homebrewing with distilling and all the panicked parent groups would be writing their representatives asking for regulation.

Ridiculous, of course, but we're also a nation that banned alcohol over moral issues...
We're also in a nation that intentionally poisoned and killed 10,000+ people during prohibition...where do you think "denatured" alcohol came from? When the funky taste wasn't enough to stop folks from drinking it the govt ordered industrial alcohol manufacturers to poison their hooch....thanks!

Never trust your government. They are there to serve you...never forget it, and never let them forget it.

But today this is all fantasy. They might be able to pull off such nonsense in say NYC, but here NC, those same items are what Joe farmer would send his kid to the store to get or place an order for that his kid would accept on any given day. Now I'll grant you that the hops and special malts aren't ordinary fare, but it's not like you need those to make alcohol. Do you think "Dale" at the feed store is going to tell some farmers boy that he can't buy grains or buckets?

I'd really love for some idiot politician to try this...I really would.. I'm in the mood for an argument

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 AM   #39
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I'm in the mood for an argument
OK, but not here.

Debate forum or elsewhere, please.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #40
kidsmakeyoucrazy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
OK, but not here.

Debate forum or elsewhere, please.
No worries unless we have idiot politicians waiting to pounce on my invitiation In that case we'll move it elsewhere.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply