Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Leave an 80K a year job to brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Leave an 80K a year job to brew?

There is a craft brew house not far from me (half hour drive) that is hiring a brewer. I would LOVE to get this job but I know that it's not going to pay enough.

I did email them about it anyways just to see what happens.

If I was to get it things would be hard money wise but it "could" be great in the long run.

Would you be willing to take say a 50-70% pay cut just to do something you love?

I know that I wont get the job anyways but it's cool to dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It depends on where you want to take it. If you eventually want to own your own brewery, and I mean really want that, then it might be worth it.

I love homebrewing. But I know that if I brewed for a living, there is a strong chance it would become just a job (and a hard one at that) and not fun anymore.

I'll keep my >$80k job, thanks, and continue having tons of fun brewing at home at the same time.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 222

As long as it's a hobby I can still love it. As a brewer, I can do anything I want with my process / recipes.

AS an employee, I'm afraid my creative, restless juices would be stifled.

I imagine that I’d spend all day brewing someone else’s beer, and then be anxious to get home and brew my own beer.

That is…of course, unless I owned the brewery. Then it would be other issues (payroll, personnel, taxes, vendors…etc).

So for now...I'll brew because I can brew, and I want to brew. I'll leave the job responsibility to someone else.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

BM hit the nail on the head. I think that brewing would lose a lot of its allure if you did it every day, all day, and instead of making whatever you wanted, you'd be making the same 4 or 5 recipes over and over again. Don't get me wrong, it'd still be better than most occupations...but there's nothing quite as awesome as true homebrewing.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I only recently joined the 80K club, but I can tell you that I would not personally go back to 40K just to brew. I will make the extra dough, brew like crazy and have some cool equipment at home... and still retire in a timely fashion.

BUT, I can see your dilemma... money is a horrible thing.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I used to enjoy messing around with computers until it became part of my job. Now it's no longer part of my job or my hobby. Stick with homebrewing. 80K will buy a lot of equipment.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
RickWG
Recipes 

There comes a time when the lure of money looses its luster and one goes after more self fulfilling employment. I'm thinking along those lines right now so this is a timely discussion. I make >90k a year and it would be hard to go to half that. Wife says she supports what ever I want to do. (And she's the one that got me my first kit!........She's a keeper) Still thinking about it though. Like the money too though. I would have to say that I was happier when I didn't have as much stuff.

Mid life is a bitch. I'm going home to drink a bottle of homebrew.

(Crap, you know I'll stay but I'll be daydreaming.)

Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWG
There comes a time when the lure of money looses its luster and one goes after more self fulfilling employment. I'm thinking along those lines right now so this is a timely discussion. I make >90k a year and it would be hard to go to half that. Wife says she supports what ever I want to do. (And she's the one that got me my first kit!........She's a keeper) Still thinking about it though. Like the money too though. I would have to say that I was happier when I didn't have as much stuff.

Mid life is a bitch. I'm going home to drink a bottle of homebrew.

(Crap, you know I'll stay but I'll be daydreaming.)
You sound to be in the same boat. My goal really is to some day have my own brewery. But I know that I need to bust my azz now and get to where I have everything paid for before putting my head on the chopping block and doing it.

I wonder if I could talk them into letting me work a few hours a week to kind of get a feel for what the big time is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i would really put some serious thought in before you make any decisions. Work for a week for free and see if brewing as a living is really for you.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
the_Roqk

Recipes 

Here's my take on your situation. Seems to me that right now you love to brew good beer and you want a shot at giving back to the masses something that you love to do and have created. As for giving up your current $80K job it might put you into a bind of some sort financially. But ultimately that decision is for you and your SWMBO. Personally if I were you I would see if they wouldn't mind if you could do this part-time and see how well you can handle the work load. Kinda like try before you buy. Or see if you're current employer with give you a leave of absence so in case this newfound career doesn't pan out like you had hoped. Either way the only thing you'd be out was time and effort. I wish you luck in your decision. As for me I wouldn't mind trying this once I retire (hopefully in 12 yrs). But I'll wait and get better at homebrewing till then. Good luck!

Quick Reply