Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Learning to value my LHBS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
dabeez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Learning to value my LHBS

I visited the LHBS in the next town today, thinking I would try them out for comparison. What a contrast!

At my LHBS I am asked to buy only exactly what I need for the grain bill and the grain is crushed uniformly to my specifications. At the store I visited today I was asked to purchase whole pound packages even for items that were only a quarter or half pound on my grain bill, and the grain was ground using a cheesy device that resulted very non uniform results. Also at this store all the grain was sealed up, no sniffing for comparison.

I will be happily patronizing my own LHBS going from here on out. So here is a salute to proprietors that do it right.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

LOVE MY LHBS. The HomeBrewery, yep that's the name opened in 1982 two owners since and I LOVE THEM. Great Service, Well Stocked, Extract Kits and AG Kits all solid Brews. The Owner came over for a big brew day with me and my two good brew buddy's for a 60gal brew of Barley Wine that goes into a Buffalo Trace Barrel, Tomorrow. Also one other guy from the store is in for 5gal. Check them out if you don't have a good LHBS At thehomebrewery.com

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 284

We only have one choice here on O`ahu, Hawai`i. But the place is GREAT if not expensive. But then everything in Hawai`i is expensive except the Sun Shine.

All the grains are stored in 5 gallon plastic buckets and you measure out what you want and mill it yourself.

2-row costs $1.70/lb everything else is $2.50/lb

Pretty good selection of hops, and yeast as well as just about any piece of hardware you may want.

Home Brew in Paridise

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider
We only have one choice here on O`ahu, Hawai`i. But the place is GREAT if not expensive. But then everything in Hawai`i is expensive except the Sun Shine.

All the grains are stored in 5 gallon plastic buckets and you measure out what you want and mill it yourself.

2-row costs $1.70/lb everything else is $2.50/lb

Pretty good selection of hops, and yeast as well as just about any piece of hardware you may want.

Home Brew in Paridise
Yep my place is similar... I had no clue when I first went there..... where else would you go and be able to open mulitple buckets and vessels to get what you need, You do it and it's charged as items only they do it it's charged as a kit. Hands on crazy !!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

What passes for a LHBS in my town is a corner of a food coop. The selection is limited, the price is relatively high and the grain comes unmilled in pound packages. The nearest that I can find that has grain in bulk and a crusher is 150 miles away. You people are soooo lucky.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
oakbarn

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

We have a five star LHBS in Dallas, TX. Homebrew Headquarters is helpful and if not in stock, quick to ask if you want it special ordered. The gain mill is set good and the rollers are replaced when worn. Their prices are sometimes slightly more than on line, but even a local grain buy, the price is not enough difference for me to do that. They are very free with tips and advice. My only problem is that on Saturdays they can be very busy!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
DrakeSuperbus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

My lhbs back home in Tampa was phenomenal. Now that I've moved, my lhbs sucks. The one and only time I went in there, they didn't have the right yeast, hops, or specialty grains. I order everything online now.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
We have a five star LHBS in Dallas, TX. Homebrew Headquarters is helpful and if not in stock, quick to ask if you want it special ordered. The gain mill is set good and the rollers are replaced when worn. Their prices are sometimes slightly more than on line, but even a local grain buy, the price is not enough difference for me to do that. They are very free with tips and advice. My only problem is that on Saturdays they can be very busy!
Yes x 1,000! I love the guys over at HBHQ. Always knowledgeable and always fully stocked. I even see one of the owners all the time at the Flying Saucer in Addison.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: Assassyn IIPA (Odell's Myrcenary clone)
Bottle: Battering Ram Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus View Post
My lhbs back home in Tampa was phenomenal. Now that I've moved, my lhbs sucks. The one and only time I went in there, they didn't have the right yeast, hops, or specialty grains. I order everything online now.
I buy all my hops and dry yeast on line from MidWest and or Austin Homebrew. Grains are to heavy to ship to Hawai`i.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
jasonclick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeSuperbus View Post
You must be talking about Southern Brewing. I checked that place out a month ago and that's the best LHBS I've seen. Ours in Jacksonville is not so nice.

Quick Reply