Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Latest Budweiser Gimmick - Pay more for Less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Default Latest Budweiser Gimmick - Pay more for Less

An interesting read that I came across on Time:

http://business.time.com/2013/04/21/...num-less-beer/

Essentially the gist is that Budweiser going to be selling their product in a new can design, which has less volume than the standard can while consumers will still pay the same price, if not more. I'm not a fan of Budweiser but it's a shame to see a product be cheapened so much by the penny pinchers at InBev.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Darwin18,
In one sense, you're right....less beer at the same cost. On the other hand, this is probably more expensive for Budweiser, not cheaper, at least in the short term. I work in the packaging industry, and there's a reason that nearly all cans are identical (with a few exceptions, such as the Heineken can). It's very expensive and difficult to shape cans and Budweiser, I'm sure, had to invest in quite a bit of equipment. This can requires an additional 16 steps to form over the standard can. For a company that runs as efficiently as Budweiser, this is a pretty big wrench in their system.

If they were to try to make this can a 12oz can, it's probably end up being a little shorter than the height of a 16oz can, which would really make people feel ripped off . It's a gimmick and I'm sure will be a limited run, but I think that it was more marketing-driven than cost-driven.

Just my thoughts...I'll probably pick up a pack if I see it. I rarely drink BMC beers anymore, but when I do I go for Bud.

John

Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've been drinking ice cold Miller beer for 20 years and now I will switch to Budweiser on account of this new bowtie can.

Just kiddin

Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

This is still friggin America, InBev can do whatever novelty can they want. No one is going to make you buy the smaller beer, and it is still going to have to disclose right there on the can that it's a 11.3 ounce can. The article states that they are not REPLACING the normal 12oz can, this is just some novelty marketing. If you think it's stupid (I do too, BTW), just don't buy it!

FYI, they also sell 8 oz cans at my local store for a higher cost/ounce than 12 oz cans/bottles, and have for several years. They also sell 16 and 24 ounce cans at a lower cost/ounce than 12 oz cans/bottles, and have for a couple decades.

This is just garden variety marketing. No deception here. If consumers want a novelty bow-tie shaped can with 11.3 ounces in it, they are (mostly) adults, so let them have it. I paid $8.00 for a 20oz aluminum Bud Light can with a Chicago Cubs logo on it last time I was at Wrigley, just for the novelty. After that one, I was back to the $7.50 24 oz Old Style drafts that were cheaper and tasted somewhat better

If you don't want the 11.3 oz can, the 12oz cans are going to be right there beside it. Even your average dumbass can do the math here.

Point being.....WHO CARES! I'm speaking words of wisdom...let it be.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6272 Times on 5443 Posts
Likes Given: 817

My "12oz" V8 juice is now 11.5, my "32oz" of frozen hashbrowns are now 29, and my "5lb" bag of sugar is now 4.

This isn't anything new.

And InBev is just doing what every other business tries to do: maximize profits while still maintain sales.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
My "12oz" V8 juice is now 11.5, my "32oz" of frozen hashbrowns are now 29, and my "5lb" bag of sugar is now 4.

This isn't anything new.

And InBev is just doing what every other business tries to do: maximize profits while still maintain sales.
Exactly!

The "half gallon" of ice cream is now 1.5 quarts and the list goes on.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

At least we'll always have 40's! There's no way to change that and still call it a 40...

...is there??

Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post

This isn't anything new.

Exactly. The shrinkage creep drives me nuts. I've noticed it especially with cereal. I went to pick a box of Special K of the shelf a few months ago and it was noticeably smaller and lighter. I put it back on the shelf and haven't bought that brand since. I'll go out of my way with other items to avoid paying the same (or sometimes more) for less than what was sold a few months ago. I didn't expect to see this happen with beer, but I'm not surprised to see InBev try this. Now, if their competitors had any brains they'd jump all over this with their advertising.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
jrstacey

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Being Canadian all liquor sold up here or at a duty free (for import into Canada) has to have metric markings. 40oz bottles were always 1.14L (38.5 oz), most of what I see these days is 1L bottles (34oz) at the duty free.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6272 Times on 5443 Posts
Likes Given: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
Exactly. The shrinkage creep drives me nuts. I've noticed it especially with cereal. I went to pick a box of Special K of the shelf a few months ago and it was noticeably smaller and lighter. I put it back on the shelf and haven't bought that brand since. I'll go out of my way with other items to avoid paying the same (or sometimes more) for less than what was sold a few months ago.
Where it really bugs me is when certain baking recipes call for a can of something or a bag of something that's traditionally been one size for the last 100 years (thinik chocolate chips or condensed milk; but isn't anymore.

Then again, I don't bake much, so I guess it doesn't really bother me; but the V8 juice one does for some reason. 0.5oz shortage in a can is 1 can case of 24 that they're shorting us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
I didn't expect to see this happen with beer, but I'm not surprised to see InBev try this. Now, if their competitors had any brains they'd jump all over this with their advertising.
Unless they're going to do it to.

Seriously though, MillerCoors and everyone else is trying to maximize profits - if they see it "work" for InBev; they'll probably do the same...

Reason: I is dumb!

Quick Reply