The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Late night brew is kegged...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
KenneBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Late night brew is kegged...

I brewed a Surley Furious clone (NB's Shirley Furioso) late one night when a couple of friends were over. Besides the friends distracting me from my usual routine, I had a few home-brews and was a little tipsy when it came time to cool and pitch.

Once my BK was empty, I noticed I had scorched the bottom slightly. Hop additions were late at times and the plate chiller backed-up so I just put the hot wort right in the fermentor and pitched the yeast warm the next morning.

I was going to throw the batch out several times, but I stuck with it and racked to secondary after two weeks and dry hopped for another two weeks before kegging and cooling this evening. I have held no hope for this, but I wanted to stick with it for the heck of it.

Well, after taking an early taste, I was surprised that it tasted good! It needs more time to age, but so far, so good. I really want to make this beer again to see how it comes out with better technique.

Anyway, here's to sticking with those batches you think you should throw out. Give it some time, and see what happens.

fermenting - Zombie Dust clone, Nitro Coffee Stout
on deck -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

How is it now?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
KenneBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
How is it now?
It is very good. I had some with family last night and it's almost gone. It has only improved over time, although I enjoyed the strong hopiness when it was first legged.

fermenting - Zombie Dust clone, Nitro Coffee Stout
on deck -

Quick Reply