Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Late grain addition.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic

You really need both sorbate and metabisulfate to stabilize and backsweeten...and of course this only works if you have the ability to keg and force carb...this technique precludes bottle conditioning.
Correct.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
JJL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The late liquor addition shouldn't really be an issue. It is sometimes recommended for grains that add little to no fermentables and that cannot self convert. I've heard of it being done with caramel malts and roast malts. I've actually done it with roast malts. I cold steeped them overnight and then added the liquor for the last 5-10 mins of the boil. It works fine.

I think the late liquor addition would be preferable to late grain additions. Why complicate matters by trying to boil and steep/mash at the same time. The temp control would be a pain I think. And I don't see what benefit there would really be over late liquor addition. If you really want to experiment, I would suggest trying to steep your honey malt by itself to make a liquor. Boil it for about 10 mins and add it in at the end of fermentation. Then wait a few days in case the beer starts to ferment again. Bottle/keg it and see what happens.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This should be like adding specialty grains after mash, except produced wort wont be boiled, or boiled for short time.
I dont see why it shouldn't work since specialty malt is added only for taste and aroma, not for conversion (like steeping @extract brewing). Gordon Strong in his book also mentions this technique as advantage of getting most of flavor excluding possibility of harsh tastes brown malts can sometimes produce.

I would steep it and add it few minutes before turning heat off. Actually you just need to pasteurize it so any temp. above 175 will do the job. Don"t afraid of tannins except your water is too hard so you think grains wont lower pH under 6, maybe you could use bottled water for this..

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
Ibanous
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It's been a long time but I thought I'd report back with my results as anticlimactic as they are. I tried this adding the grains (1lb) at flame out but waiting ~15 minutes before starting wort chiller to allow for some pasteurization (I had adjusted my hop schedule to compensate for this as well). However I don't think I captured all that much honey aroma or any extra taste that I was hoping for. Conversely I the beer is clean tasting I doubt there is any infection issue nor any over tannin extraction.

All that said unfortunately the beer was a bit uninspiring and bland. Likely just a recipe issue I was counting to much on the honey flavor to through and didn't have enough else going on to back it up.

Primary: Unnamed Milk Stout
Secondary: First attempt Mead, Raspberry Apfelwein
Keg: Hot Red Head Stawberry wheat, Infamous Imperial IPA

Quick Reply