New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Late grain addition.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Ibanous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Late grain addition.

I was thinking about trying to brew a beer with a very pronounced honey aroma/taste. From what I've read/experienced it's more productive to use honey malt then actual honey.

I'm wondering if you lose aroma with grains as you do with hops, so that after a 90minute boil would you boil away most of the honey aroma you gain from the honey malt? Along that line I'm wondering if it's possible (advisable) to do a late grain addition. I know I wouldn't want to boil the grain itself so I'm thinking of adding a measure of honey malt at flame out and steeping it for ~10 minutes before starting my wort chiller. I figured this should be enough time and enough heat to kill off any wild yeast or bacteria on the grain, at the same time extracting the aroma from the grain that I'm looking for.

Thoughts?

Primary: Unnamed Milk Stout
Secondary: First attempt Mead, Raspberry Apfelwein
Keg: Hot Red Head Stawberry wheat, Infamous Imperial IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think you mostly just get a honey-esque flavor from honey malt- a sweetness that is like honey. I don't know that you get that much actual aroma. I'd recommend using your honey malt for the sweetness and then adding honey at flameout or at high krausen for the aroma.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Potassium Sorbate, and honey.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
mux
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mux
I wouldn't add grain post boil.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Natethebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If I add honey to a batch I add it at 30 minutes or less, any more and it's just more fermentables with no aroma.
I've heard of guys adding it to the secondary as well.
On the other hand adding grains late in a mash is capping if I'm not mistaken, and that may help if done right.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Ibanous
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mux View Post
I wouldn't add grain post boil.
Why not? I'm not disagreeing I'm really just looking for reasons this will/won't work, or adverse effects. When I first thought of doing a grain add at flame out my first instinct was that it wouldn't work or shouldn't be done. But I couldn't think of why or any advise specifically warning against it.

Primary: Unnamed Milk Stout
Secondary: First attempt Mead, Raspberry Apfelwein
Keg: Hot Red Head Stawberry wheat, Infamous Imperial IPA

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Natethebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I could be wrong, but high temperatures may extract unwanted husky or tannin-esque flavors that you may not want

Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
mux
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanous

Why not? I'm not disagreeing I'm really just looking for reasons this will/won't work, or adverse effects. When I first thought of doing a grain add at flame out my first instinct was that it wouldn't work or shouldn't be done. But I couldn't think of why or any advise specifically warning against it.
How would you sanitize the grain?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mux View Post
You really need both sorbate and metabisulfate to stabilize and backsweeten...and of course this only works if you have the ability to keg and force carb...this technique precludes bottle conditioning.
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanous View Post
I was thinking about trying to brew a beer with a very pronounced honey aroma/taste. From what I've read/experienced it's more productive to use honey malt then actual honey.

I'm wondering if you lose aroma with grains as you do with hops, so that after a 90minute boil would you boil away most of the honey aroma you gain from the honey malt? Along that line I'm wondering if it's possible (advisable) to do a late grain addition. I know I wouldn't want to boil the grain itself so I'm thinking of adding a measure of honey malt at flame out and steeping it for ~10 minutes before starting my wort chiller. I figured this should be enough time and enough heat to kill off any wild yeast or bacteria on the grain, at the same time extracting the aroma from the grain that I'm looking for.

Thoughts?
Interesting, I've been thinking along these same lines for a while now, I just haven't tried it yet. Here's a thread on this subject I posted a while back:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/no-boil-pm-327386/

The general concensus seems to be a sanitation issue and/or tannin issue. In all honesty I just don't see a problem with a seperate grain steep/late liquor addition, or late grain addition as long as proper temps & times are maintained; but there are a LOT of other brewers out there with a helluva lot more experience than me who say it won't work for whatever reason.

I WILL most certainly be trying my late liquor addition next time I brew, as that's really the only way I'll find out for certain if it works or not. If you try the late grain (or similar) addition, please give us updates, I'm very interested to see if it works.
Regards, GF.

Quick Reply