Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Largest IPA you've ever brewed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Largest IPA you've ever brewed?

A while ago I set out to make a HUGE IPA....well, last attempt I ended up making a 12.5% barleywine. It's sitting nestled in a few 1 litre bottles because it's way too sweet and incredibly boozy.

Today, I just kegged my second attempt. It's a 10.5% Imperial IPA single-Hopped with Galaxy.

It's still a huge malt bomb but not overly sweet and not as malty as the barleywine. I took a photo of it:

http://adam-jackson.net/beer/my-firs...lacks-balance/

Anyway, it's pretty damn good. Wondering..how far can I take the IPA before it's a barleywine? I know IBU doesn't matter as far as classifications go but ABV is, right?

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I guess it's pretty subjective but when the alcohol level is the same as typical wine--11% and up, say, it's fair to call it barley wine. I brew a beer I call Audacious Blackguard (inspired by but not cloned Arrogant Bastard) that is up around 10% but I call it a "double IPA."

Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Once upon a time all beer that was over about 7% abv was called barley wine. Then people started making beer that was a specific style that was stronger than the standard style, they started to call this beer Imperial. IMHO there is no difference other than a barley wine is meant to age where most imperial beer is not but you can if you so choose to.

As for the largest IIPA I have ever made... was actually the last one I brewed. It was a party gyle that I mash hopped and whirl pool hopped as well as dry hopped. I think this may have been the hoppiest beer I have ever made. Fortunately with a 13%ish ABV it was well balanced! I am sure the theoretical IBU's were well over 200...

That saddest part is I only have a few bottles of it left...I seem to drink IPAs faster than any other style.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Would mind sharing your experience going single hop with Galaxy? What would you compare it to and how would you describe it?

I have a single hop (actually 1 90 minute magnum addition) IPA with Galaxy that should be finishing up soon.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
abracadabra4
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I made a ~110 IBU 11%abv a few months back that got rave reviews from almost all of my friends.

6oz of hops in boil and 1 dry hop.

Planned: Simcoe IPA, Bourbon Barrel Porter

Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The one in my recipes list. I have brewed it twice since I wrote the recipe.

12.1% on the first one
12.7% on the second, when I unexpectedly overshot my OG

I definitely wouldn't consider either one a barleywine, although the first time I brewed it, I considered that it might end up in that territory. Instead, it fermented out pretty well both times....1.010 and 1.014.
Not sure when I will be making it again, as I have a whole lot of beers already kegged.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Pickledout686
Recipes 

My last IPA was at 9.6% I think the IBU's were around 150, it was definitely on the hoppier side, it didn't last very long.. I think I need to brew that recipe again

Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
paithian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just did a ipa with home grown galaxy 6 ounces of em its still in primary but smells damn good going to dry hop next week with 2oz of simcoe

Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

I just finished an 11% (FG 1.011) IIIPA

Hops:
15ml of HopShot 90min
2oz Warrior 90min
2oz Warrior 15min
1oz Centennial 10min

Just starting the 3 stage 1lb total dry hop with CTZ, Simcoe, Cent, Citra, and Amarillo.

It's dry and bitter. Will be a great beer (initial samples great).

T

Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
adamjackson
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
Would mind sharing your experience going single hop with Galaxy? What would you compare it to and how would you describe it?

I have a single hop (actually 1 90 minute magnum addition) IPA with Galaxy that should be finishing up soon.

Yeah.

As you can see, I overshot my OG but ended up fermenting down pretty well to end up with 10.5. I wish I had done just a bit more hop additions..maybe dry hopped with Galaxy & Citra instead.

The aroma is pretty weak and it's a big malt bomb but very drinkable and a single glass gets me pretty tipsy and I'm a big guy. It's an intense beer.;

I'm doing a lot of single-hop beers so I can learn the aroma and taste of each hop and then I feel it will make be a better brewer...It comes down to how much I can get of each..if the LHBS has a pound of something interesting, I'll make an IPA out of it and see what comes out.

Hope that helped...but I'm not an expert just messing around so don't trust anything I say.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Quick Reply