The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Landlord/Property Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
Mishraile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I feel for you man, I just moved away from Chicago and was brewing in my apartment. I am glad I don't do that any more. Much nicer to have space to breathe. His main issue might actually be the smell, some people just hate it. I love it, and thankfully so does my wife. I think it smells like baking bread almost. Perhaps he has moral issues with alcahol, and he just doesn't want to voice them? Or perhaps he might think its illegal (or almost illegal) and isn't comfortable with that in his house? Do you have your own apartment or do you rent a room in his house, those would play a part in this I would think.

"My own beard boasts my brewing ability better than my brewing ability can stand up to."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds like you are sharing a house with him. So he is the owner and he sets the rules. I assume a shared kitchen as well. Of course his yeast thing is wrong, and being nice to him is the best method.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Before you submit a paper to him try sitting down and just talking about it.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I would add something about the status of legality of homebrewing in your city/state/country as well as the popularity of the hobby, local clubs, and number of members in the AHA. Something that makes it seem like a real hobby or culinary interest rather than just making cheap bathroom hootch or a meth lab. I'm in the process of opening a brewery and still get "bathtub" questions (jokes?) from friends and family- try to contextualize brewing so that he has some frame of reference other than whatever notion he got from his prohibition-era parents.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
mavandeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishraile View Post
Do you have your own apartment or do you rent a room in his house, those would play a part in this I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
Sounds like you are sharing a house with him. So he is the owner and he sets the rules. I assume a shared kitchen as well. Of course his yeast thing is wrong, and being nice to him is the best method.
It's a two story walk-up with 3 units, garden, first, and second. I'm on the second, and all apartments including kitchens are separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Before you submit a paper to him try sitting down and just talking about it.
We had a "meeting" today. He called me and brought the neighbor into the room with him with me on speaker phone. He was basically just trying to tell me why it wouldn't work in the house. I told him that we need to sit down in person for me to get my info across, and he seems to think our talk was good enough. I'm just going to slip the essay under his door when it is complete along with a copy of the laws regarding homebrew in Illinois, and other materials for him to look over. He is, however, okay with the fermentation chamber being in the garage. I'll probably just convert a chest fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I would add something about the status of legality of homebrewing in your city/state/country as well as the popularity of the hobby, local clubs, and number of members in the AHA. Something that makes it seem like a real hobby or culinary interest rather than just making cheap bathroom hootch or a meth lab. I'm in the process of opening a brewery and still get "bathtub" questions (jokes?) from friends and family- try to contextualize brewing so that he has some frame of reference other than whatever notion he got from his prohibition-era parents.
Will do this. Great idea for a friendly lead-in.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #26
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Well you are definetly handling it in the best way possible. My question is can a landlord legally tell you what you may/may not cook in your rented apartment? As someone else mentioned homebrewing is pretty much the equivalent of making soup. If a landlord is a vegetarian can he demand that all renters and guests are prohibited from cooking meat? Seems pretty ridiculous.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Honestly, f him. Brew anyway. He has NO legal right to tell you you cannot brew in your apartment. If he kicks you out, move and then sue him (for the cost of the move). If nothing else it will cost him time and money to go to court. Why live somewhere that is run by an azzhat where you cannot brew beer? He is not legally able to tell you you cannot do something that is legal. If he told you you couldn't have a gun in the apt it would be the same thing. Again, f him.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #28
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I have to agree with Slipgate, what is your landlord doing in your personal business? You pay your rent, you should be able to live your life, do what ever you want as long as it is legal, doesn't impinge on others rights, or endanger anyone. You sound like you are the ideal renter, because you care so much about the land lord's concerns. If you pay on time, don't annoy your neighbors, and are not creating a danger to the premises, or neighbors, it is none of his business. I would not sign a lease that said I could not prepare food, or beverages of your choice. If you give in on this, later he may not like the way you dress.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #29
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I must be lucky. My landlord loves my home brew. Didn't bother him at all when I was tapping into the natural gas line to fuel the burners I was installing in my welded up brew stand in front of the garage. He chuckled while I went to get him another beer.

Probably helps that I'm a contractor and he knows I'm not going to blow something up though.

Edit: As foe your situation. There are two ways of life, what's supposed to happen, and what actually happens. He may have no contractual or legal reason to tell you to stop, doesn't mean he can't find ANYTHING in his power to get rid of you. If he's a smart as you think he is, he won't mention home brew for grounds of eviction but any other reasons. And unless you live in San Francisco, where it is more likely you will get away with murder than eviction, you may just lose this battle in the long run.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #30
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewing is basically the same as making bread, if he wants to prevent you from doing something in the "common" areas of the apartment that is his right as landloard but unless your lease specifies no cooking/baking is allowed he can go to court and try to get a cease and desist and would fail as long as you arw a licensed home brewer. What happens within your apartment is none of his concern as long as you are not damaging his property in any way.

Quick Reply