The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Landlord/Property Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
mavandeh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Landlord/Property Issues

My landlord is a smart guy. In fact, he's got a Ph.D. in Chemistry. However, he doesn't know a thing about beer brewing aside that it involves yeast fermenting sugars. We've discussed brewing before, and when he came home tonight he saw that I was fermenting a batch and sent me a stern message to stop. It's nowhere in the lease, but I want to respect his wishes. I'm sure that I could convince him though, so I have wrote a small article on what concerns homebrewing entails.

The reason I am posting here is to ask if any of you think I may be forgetting anything. I may not even send it to him, and just use it as talking points when I meet with him to formally discuss this issue.

When I asked him for a reason, all he could say was that the yeast may present a health (allergy) concern for the neighbor in the house, and the smell is kind of obnoxious. I've talked to the neighbor and he loves the idea of me brewing and is excited to try it. He is not allergic to yeast, as he loves beer and drinks plenty of it himself.

Link to my short article here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...U9fZDNkUE/edit

I left it open for comment to anyone with the link. I will later add formal citations instead of just links. If anyone has more resources for me, please post them here or on the comments to the article.

Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Smithman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ask the chemist if the yeast you use in your bread making machine poses a risk. It sounds like he has been educated beyond the limits of his own intellect.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Is it even possible to be allergic to yeast? I mean, it's floating around everywhere already. I don't think brewing is throwing more yeast out than say, your fruit bowl.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your document is well detailed. I would think a chemist would know at least the basics of yeast, maybe not the specific strain that is used in making beer, but as you stated its no different than using bread yeast for baking. There has to be another reason or he is just unaware of what the process and hobby is all about. I would possibly add a section in your article about the laws, just to counter any possible concerns he may have about the law. Here is a link I found for your state specifically:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...utes/illinois/

I think you are being reasonable in offering that you go out and buy a refrigerator to contain the smell and potential mess if there happens to be one. If he is concerned of steam/water damage when boiling indoors, is there any way you can do that outside?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
flanneltrees804
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like your article and appreciate how gracious you are being as I would not be. I wonder, however, if putting info about water damage and strong odors is really necessary. If I am a landlord that is concerned about yeast allergy then I'm probably not thinking about open flames and tons of water spilling. Why make him aware of dangers that he doesn't know about?

littlesagebrewing.wordpress.com

Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
mavandeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There is a way I could do it outside, however it would require me to purchase much more equipment than my wallet can handle right now even if I go for a single burner BIAB sort of setup. It would be a fun project though!

Also, I'm in Chicago and I'm planning on moving within the next 4-5 years. Space is really a luxury here. Also, I don't want to have to worry about moving a brew stand when I leave. It's just one more huge item to move.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Are you in a lease or month to month? If you have a lease and there is nothing about brewing in your lease than he can go pound sand. If you are on a month to month lease and not in and area that is "rent controlled" then you pretty much have to adapt to whatever he says.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
mavandeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
Is it even possible to be allergic to yeast? I mean, it's floating around everywhere already. I don't think brewing is throwing more yeast out than say, your fruit bowl.
I don't want to mislead him at all. Hopefully by being honest he'll understand that I'm aware of how it concerns him and that I'm going out of my way to be careful. If I fail to bring this up and he finds out later, he'll only ask me to stop again anyway.

He did not flat out say, "no way, not at all", he did say that I should keep it outside the main building, limiting it to the garage. I cannot ferment beer in the garage on a 93 degree F day. This means he is flexible, and at least a little bit reasonable, but I think he fears what he does not know. Concessions on the parts of both parties have to be made, and I want to respect his wishes.

I feel like I'm at least a half-way decent teacher anyway. Heck, I teach a short class to college kids about reading Pap smears once a year.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
mavandeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Are you in a lease or month to month? If you have a lease and there is nothing about brewing in your lease than he can go pound sand. If you are on a month to month lease and not in and area that is "rent controlled" then you pretty much have to adapt to whatever he says.
There's no rent control in Chicago, and the lease is up in a month. He could potentially add it to the next lease that I'm about to sign.

I couldn't have picked a better time to start brewing again and him to find out.

I really like the guy and I'd hate to burn a bridge. He's an EXCELLENT land lord. Best I've ever had. Really don't want to be forced to move this coming month with a broken knee to boot.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

You said he "came home". Does he live with you?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply