Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lancaster Brewing Co.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
oguss0311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lancaster Brewing Co.

Just got a six-pack of Lancaster Hop Hog IPA. I loved it. I will buy more. But its not nearly as hoppy as I thought an IPA with the word "Hop" in the name would be. Has anyone else had this? Do you agree? For a "Hop-Hog"- I expected something else. Its really good though, and I'd like to some day find a clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Not Lancaster OH by chance is it?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a good beer and quickly became their best known beer, although their Amish 4 Grain Ale and Strawberry Wheat are damn fine too.

If you hit the brewery, they have a ton more that don't get bottled, including a very nice lemon pepper saison.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
jezter6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse
Not Lancaster OH by chance is it?
No, Lancaster Brewing Co is Lancaster PA. Amish country (although I'd bet BOTH Lancasters are in Amish country...)

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6
It's a good beer and quickly became their best known beer, although their Amish 4 Grain Ale and Strawberry Wheat are damn fine too.

If you hit the brewery, they have a ton more that don't get bottled, including a very nice lemon pepper saison.
I saw that on their website- I would have picked up the four grain over an IPA (I'm not a card carrying hop-head). I saw the strawberry wheat-and- um- backed away- but I'll pick it up now.

Yeah, they are just far away enough that I can't see SWMightBO going for it. But I'll get there sooner or later.

Lancaster OH is not Amish country. But has anyone out there ever been to Kirn-Keller park (AKA flatrocks)?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just picked up a six-pack of the Amish 4-Grain pale ale. Holy cripes, that stuff is nice! It's surprising having that much mouthfeel from something so light in color.

I tried their milk stout once when I was at a bachelor's party in York, PA... but it was beer number 9 out of 12, and I have no cognizant memory of it...

Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

As someone who used to live in Lancaster (and who worked at the brewery for awhile) it pains me to say it, but I'm not crazy about their beers. Hop Hog is nice, but I wouldn't pick it out of a lineup...same with the A4G and the Milk Stout. I talked to the brewer about this (a long time ago -- not sure if he's still there) and it was a conscious decision on their part to brew really "safe" brews, for broad appeal

Can't argue with it from a business perspective, but I suspect a lot of carft beer diehards (like people whio post on this board) might find them a little boring.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
jezter6
Recipes 

I won't disagree, however I don't think any of them are BAD beers. I don't enjoy milk stout as a whole, so I can't comment on that but I do see their point - and it works. I see Hop Hog for sale everywhere.

I much prefer some of the things I had from the taps in the brewhouse that aren't bottled for commercial sale though. But it goes to prove the masses will buy what is marketed for the masses and make less than stellar brew popular.

I think much of the PA breweries are like that, with the notable exception of Victory. Stoudt's is good beer, but nothing prolific. Appalachian, while really good, doesn't do much in the way of 'out there' beers and don't market their (IMHO) best beers well. Aside from Troegenator, I don't touch anything from Troegs unless it's a sampler at a beerfest - and even then I usually choose that one if they have it.

I guess in the same line - Maryland brews are the same way. DuClaw is more like a Gordon Biersh - they try to be this upscale micro but they're just a chain and don't seem to actually sell beer outside the pub.

Edit: I just realized after posting that I brewed a Strawberry Wheat this weekend in honor of Lancaster. Goes great with Strawberry Philly Blunt - can't wait for mine to be ready!!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've posted about quality control issues I have had with their milk stout in the past. After emailing the company and never receiving a response, I don't see any reason to purchase their product when we have access to plenty of great beer and several excellent PA breweries.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
I've posted about quality control issues I have had with their milk stout in the past. After emailing the company and never receiving a response, I don't see any reason to purchase their product when we have access to plenty of great beer and several excellent PA breweries.
Yeah, based on your post I actually emailed the brewer (apparently he's still there, or at least that's what the web site says) describing the issue and linking the thread. I figured if he heard about a problem like that from someone who actually used to help him make the beer, he might respond.

No luck. Next time I visit my parents I'll drop in, and if I see him I'll see WTF is up.

Quick Reply