Lagers and Pilsners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
Can someone recommend some commercial lagers and pilsners that I should try?
I have always hated them but in all fairness I really have only had the cheap BMC's. I had a maibock once that I loved but I don't remember the name, I bought several different types after that and they were all skunky and horrible. I generally drink and make IPAs, pale ales, stouts, creme ale, etc. I tried to several versions of oktoberfest's this year but found most of them lacked in flavor. I am very curious about imperial pilsners but haven't found a commercial example for sale.

Now that it's cold out I would like to find something I like and then try to make a lager, the temp in my garage stays in the 40's to 50's most of the winter.

Try Oskar Blue's MAMA'S LITTLE YELLOW PILS. It comes in cans and can be found at most liquor stores and some grocery stores.

I make a great clone of this that is almost spot on, so if you like it let me know and I'll send you the recipe!

images

Staropramen and Pilsner Urquell obviously!
Anything from Ayinger (other than the Wiezens of course)
Spaten
Hacker-Pschorr Munich

True Budweiser (Czechvar in the U.S.) from Ceske Budovice (southern Bohemia) is a good baseline for lagers. Pilsner Urquell is not my favorite pils standard to go by as there are several Czech brands that are much better imo.

After living in Prague for 2 years, and touring the country's pivovars as much as possible, my favorites can be found below (unfortunately, you cannot find them here in the U.S.).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try to find some of these this weekend. I haven't seen noble pils on tap yet, that should be showing up soon.

Odells had a double pilsner this past summer that was pretty delicious. Not sure if it was a seasonal though.

Try Oskar Blue's MAMA'S LITTLE YELLOW PILS. It comes in cans and can be found at most liquor stores and some grocery stores.

I make a great clone of this that is almost spot on, so if you like it let me know and I'll send you the recipe!

images

Yes please! I love the yella pils!

Ur pils by pinkus is killer, as is regal imperial pils by Breckenridge.

True Budweiser (Czechvar in the U.S.) from Ceske Budovice (southern Bohemia) is a good baseline for lagers. Pilsner Urquell is not my favorite pils standard to go by as there are several Czech brands that are much better imo.

+1 on the Czechvar.

Mama's Little Yella Pils Clone

6.0 gallon batch

9.0 lbs. Pilsen Malt
1.5 lbs. Munich Malt
0.5 lbs. Crystal 20L
0.5 lbs. American Wheat Malt

0.5 oz. Bravo Hops @ 60
1.0 oz. Saaz Hops @ 15
1.0 oz. Saaz Hops @ 5
37 IBU

1.049 OG/1.013 FG @ 75% efficiency (4.8% ABV)

I Brew in a Bag (BIAB)
Mash @ 156F for 60 min (step mash if you're into that kinda thing)
Mashout @170F for 10 min (if doing traditional AG, batch sparge at 170F)
60 min boil

SafLager Weinhenstephan Lager Yeast
Primary Ferment at 50F for 2 weeks
Rack and Lager at 40F for 6 weeks.
Prime and bottle at room temperature or keg to 2.4 atmospheres.

narragansett lager is pretty good, nice malty sweet but crisp flavor, like fresh wonderbread. It is pretty cheap too. Noble pils is real good but it's seasonal so look in the spring

narragansett lager is pretty good, nice malty sweet but crisp flavor, like fresh wonderbread. It is pretty cheap too. Noble pils is real good but it's seasonal so look in the spring

I always thought that it should come out in the spring but I always see it when we go on snowmobile trips. It seems strange to have it out in the winter but I drink it anyways.

If it is lager that you want I'd suggest you try a Pilsner.

And if it's a Pilsner you seek I say try the original, Pilsner Urquell. However, do look for the ones with the proper box. There are some that have a box that covers all but the crowns of the bottle and others that are no different than a domestic sixer carrier, given the travel distance ...

I was only able to find 3 pilsners that I thought might be good. I got pilsner urquell, sly fox pikeland pils (in a can) and great lakes elliott ness. I tried the sly fox 1st and loved the fact that it was in a can. I didn't like it and swore it was skunky but since it was canned I guess it couldn't be. I had my wife taste it and she didn't like it but didn't think it was skunky. Next was the pilsner urquell, again I got the skunky taste but it wasn't as bad as sly fox. I think I just don't like pilsners and somehow associate the flavor with skunky beer. I didn't try the elliott ness yet. I love noble pils but to me it doesn't even taste similiar to the 2 I just tried. Should noble pils taste anything like the other pilsners out there?

I was only able to find 3 pilsners that I thought might be good. I got pilsner urquell, sly fox pikeland pils (in a can) and great lakes elliott ness. I tried the sly fox 1st and loved the fact that it was in a can. I didn't like it and swore it was skunky but since it was canned I guess it couldn't be. I had my wife taste it and she didn't like it but didn't think it was skunky. Next was the pilsner urquell, again I got the skunky taste but it wasn't as bad as sly fox. I think I just don't like pilsners and somehow associate the flavor with skunky beer. I didn't try the elliott ness yet. I love noble pils but to me it doesn't even taste similiar to the 2 I just tried. Should noble pils taste anything like the other pilsners out there?

Surely you can find Victory Prima Pils in NY. It's the best german pils (heh) there is. I love it.

urquell in bottles = bad
urquell in can = amazingly good in comparison. had one yesterday and was shocked at how fresh, hopped and bitter it was compared to the skunked bottles in the past.

Not really much of a Lager drinker so I go with that and something like the Ayinger Okt/Marzen.

images
Wondering if you still have the recipe to Mama's Lil Yella Pils clone? If so, can you please send it to me??? I would love to attempt to try making some at home!

Thanks,
Tony

Back