Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lagering

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
mykayel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lagering

I've made an Ocktoberfest about 3 months ago, I actually sampled it for the first time tonight and its pretty good. OG = 1.050 and FG =1.008. As this is my first lagger, what really is the point of 'laggering'. Is it really any different than an ale, once fermentation is done, its done and temperature doesn't really matter and its just a matter of the flavors mellowing out?

Also, I will be moving in about a week and I need to take down my beer fridge. Once again, if this was an ale, I wouldn't worry at all about it going to room temp for a few days (or weeks or months as I normally do with the second keg as I do 10g batches), but with it being a lager, is it any different? Any issues with it going to room temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A bunch of different reasons to lager different beers, In a word maybe it could be summed up as "smoother"

Read here: How to Brew - By John Palmer - What is Different for Brewing Lager Beer?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Smoother, cleaner, crisper and clearer. Lagering is actually magic of some kind. No one understands how, but it works! Don't be concerned about letting yours come up to room temperature, but as our beer is not pasteurized, it's best to keep it chilled or at least as cool as possible. A few days or even somewhat longer won't do any harm. I would get it cooled back down asap though if it were mine. I like to keep all my beer cool whether it be a lager or an ale.

Quick Reply