Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lager vs ale..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
dethmutt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager vs ale..

Still new to brewing, but have seen some kits that say the lager yeast works at ale temps.. Specifically a Munich helles. I have the chiller to lager it, but if its not needed it can house a batch coming off conditioning soon.. Should I lager it or just ferment as an ale?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmutt
Still new to brewing, but have seen some kits that say the lager yeast works at ale temps.. Specifically a Munich helles. I have the chiller to lager it, but if its not needed it can house a batch coming off conditioning soon.. Should I lager it or just ferment as an ale?
A good Helles must be fermented cool then lagered, usually for a few weeks. You can do a diacetyl rest at 60F after a week of fermenting if you want.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Lager yeast strains will definitely ferment at ale temperatures- but that's not usually the way to make the best tasting lager.

If you want to make a pseudo-lager, you could use a very "clean" ale yeast, like pacman (if you can find it) or nottingham, and ferment at about 60 degrees. That will give a more "lager like" finish to the beer, rather than using a lager yeast at ale temperatures.

If you can ferment at 65 or so, you could use White Labs 001, and that will give you a similar result.

Using a lager yeast at ale temperatures can work, but only with certain strains for good results and it's not usually going to give a lager like finish.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Many lager yeasts work well at higher temps, but the resulting beer has more of the characteristics of an ale. There will be more esters giving what, in a lager, would usually classify as "off flavors."

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you want to make a pseudo-lager, you could use a very "clean" ale yeast, like pacman (if you can find it) or nottingham, and ferment at about 60 degrees. That will give a more "lager like" finish to the beer, rather than using a lager yeast at ale temperatures.
kolsch yeast is another option. it's meant to be fermented mid 50's to very low 60's. you then need to lager it for a few weeks to get the yeast to drop out (or use finings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Using a lager yeast at ale temperatures can work,
this is steam beer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
dethmutt
Recipes 

Ok so it's time to piss off the wife and load the fridge with the conditioned batch while the Munich helles lagers in the chiller.. Gotcha!!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Heck, as far as that goes, any yeast will be happy to ferment like nobody's business at 90F, the flavor of the beer is what is at stake.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1905 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Or WL029 kolsh yeast. It's a ale/lager hybrid that they say gives a clean,lager like flavor between 65-69F. I'm trying it on one light colored batch & one black. Useing malts that typically are used to make lagers as well as hops can also aid in the illusion.

Quick Reply