Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lager Bottling with Smack Pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Lager Bottling with Smack Pack

Let me preface this by saying I've attempted to garner an answer to my question both by searching this site and by reading what John Palmer has to say on the topic, and haven't answered my question satisfactorily.

I brewed up an Oktoberfest about a week and change ago. Fermented it for better part of 5-7 days, did a two day diacetyl rest, and now brought it down to about 35-40 degrees (accounting for hysteresis in my fridge).

My question is....I'll be lagering away for about another six weeks or thereabouts. Once I bottle, I understand that I'll want to add yeast to suspension. a couple questions arise:

1) I used Wyeast Oktoberfest Blend smack pack. I plan on using it again, but how much?

2) should I bring the beer up to room temp before re-pitching and adding sugar?

3) should I use the same amount of sugar I'd use when priming an Ale? I tend to like my beer less fizzy and foamy, and generally err on the side of undercarbed versus overcarbed, so I usually add 0.8oz of sugar for every gallon of ale. is this also reasonable to do with the lager?

Thanks in advance.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Robusto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the same questions... tagged for later!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
MZRIS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

1) I used Wyeast Oktoberfest Blend smack pack. I plan on using it again, but how much?

pitch whole pack

2) should I bring the beer up to room temp before re-pitching and adding sugar?

no - lager yeast function as they should in cold temps.

3) should I use the same amount of sugar I'd use when priming an Ale? I tend to like my beer less fizzy and foamy, and generally err on the side of undercarbed versus overcarbed, so I usually add 0.8oz of sugar for every gallon of ale. is this also reasonable to do with the lager?

Use a carb calculator for best results. Here is a simple one I just googled.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 553

I have never needed to add bottling yeast for a lager, and that includes higher gravity ones that were lagered for several months. I'm amazed that you fermented it out in 5-7 days! If you don't warm it up, you'll need to account for dissolved CO2 when you bottle it. For that reason, I find it easier to bring it up to room temp before bottling.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Denny, Honestly, I don't know that i did. I took a grav reading and it came in at 1.015-1.017. This is my first rodeo with lagering.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I have never needed to add bottling yeast for a lager, and that includes higher gravity ones that were lagered for several months. I'm amazed that you fermented it out in 5-7 days! If you don't warm it up, you'll need to account for dissolved CO2 when you bottle it. For that reason, I find it easier to bring it up to room temp before bottling.
+1, never pitched additional yeast at bottling time for a lager. I'm not claiming that you shouldn't but I haven't read anywhere of people needing to do this.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5158 Times on 3721 Posts
Likes Given: 1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigidyjim View Post
+1, never pitched additional yeast at bottling time for a lager. I'm not claiming that you shouldn't but I haven't read anywhere of people needing to do this.
I have done it both ways- not added fresh yeast, and then also added fresh yeast. Aside from quicker carbing with reyeasting, I didn't have any differences in the end product.

One point, though- I did NOT pitch lager yeast at bottling. I used 1/3 package (about 3 grams) of dry nottingham yeast. I boiled up the priming solution, cooled it and poured it into the bottling bucket. I then stirred in the dry yeast, and let it sit for a minute and then racked the beer into that to mix well. It worked perfectly, and I let the beer carb up at room temperature.

I use .8 ounce per gallon of priming sugar for most of my ales, but I like my light lagers a little higher carbed and use closer to 1 ounce per gallon. For dark lagers like dopplebock, I use .75 ounce per gallon.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply