HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ladies and gentlemen, I have arrived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
jmendez29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Ladies and gentlemen, I have arrived

I've been home brewing for somewhere around five years. I started with extracts, slowly accumulated all the gear for all grain and kegging and now moving toward a brew sculpture and RIMS/HERMS type system. I brew probably 8-10 batches a year. I'm really the only person who drinks it so it seems to last longer than it should. I've brewed many styles and tried a few recipes within the same style.

But today, I am going to brew using the same recipe for an IPA that I have in my Kegerator. So today is the day that I have officially arrived as a homebrewer. I've had plenty of people enjoy my beer, but it wasn't good enough for me. There was always something about each one that was just a little off or needed an adjustment or something. But this will be the first time that I use the same grain bill and hop and mash schedule with no changes.

I thank you all for the kind support and wisdom that has been provided on this website. I now feel that I can truly stand amongst everyone here as a professional homebrewer.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

davekippen Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3847 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 638

How fun that you now have a "house IPA" to make again!

I brew pretty often (I guess we both just drink too much in our house) and I love having a couple of standards that I make often. I almost never change my oatmeal stout recipe, for example. It's exactly the way I want it. Other recipes I might change or tweak just a bit.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Ridire

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 194

I am leaning towards making my brewing "boring" for the next year or so. By that I mean that I am considering choosing 3 beer styles and brewing them over and over until I have those 3 down perfect. After that, I'll go back to doing more variety. The IPA is where I was planning to start on the development of the "house" beers.

So, congrats on locking up your IPA recipe.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
jmendez29

Recipes 

Thank you both. I never really had a plan to create a "house" beer, but at some point about a year ago, I realized I had never brewed the same beer twice. I may have taken a recipe and made some adjustments, but I don't consider that the same recipe. Whether it be a larger grain bill or hop substitutions. But with this beer, everything was the same. And it was a good brew day by the way.

But now that I have a house IPA, I will now have to start making more house recipes. In fact, I have an oatmeal stout on tap that's just about where I want it. That will be my next endeavor. Just a little more dark chocolate flavor and I'm there.....

Old 04-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
Cyclman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Very cool. I am too discombobulated, I try too many things and never go back. Maybe someday...

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
davekippen

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 411

I was just thinking about this today also! I have a Belgian that turned out sooo good, its going to be my first "repeat" after about 25 batches or so. I have a Galaxy/Citra Pale that was damn fine too, will probably brew again when I kick this keg.

Good work J, its a good feeling huh!!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
jmendez29

Recipes 

Damn good feeling, Dave. I can't say it was ever a goal, at least not in a direct way. But now that I have one, I'm hooked. Now I want to have about 4 mainstays and a bunch of other ones that kind of just make the rounds.

davekippen Likes This 

Quick Reply