Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lactose intolerance..alternatives to sweeten

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
mensplace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lactose intolerance..alternatives to sweeten

In preparing to make a Framboise, I had planned to use some Lactose to sweeten the brew. Fortunately, there came the realization that the wife is severely Lactose intolerant, so this would impact ale making just as much..or more..than the consumption of dairy products. I don't want to kick up the alcohol, but merely sweeten the batch. I have heard of the use of other artificial sweeteners, but wonder if others might have preferred selections that would not impact the flavor in the way that a sacharine would.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Sucralose (Splenda) works very well for me and I have a history of problems with non-sugar sweeteners, both 'natural' and artificial.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Braid
Recipes 

+1 to the Splenda. I used 1 1/2 cups per 5 gallons of a raspberry beer. Worked out fine!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
gpogo
Recipes 

How about stevia? I've been interested in checking it out as an alternative to lactose sweetening.

It's non fermentable, and from what I can tell vegan friendly.

Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

It can work but stevia has it's own taste issues. Add to much to a coffee and you see what I mean.

Local health food store had a whole bunch of new healthy sweetner alternatives when I was there last. I should have taken a longer look at what the were.

I donlt trust any of those man made sweeteners. Chemicals..bleh

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't know much about using campden tablets, but theoretically you could always use some of those and then backsweeten with sugar. This will only really work if you keg, of course, but it is an option.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
Local health food store had a whole bunch of new healthy sweetner alternatives when I was there last. I should have taken a longer look at what the were.
They were possibly stevia based. If I'm remembering correctly, the FDA approved stevia as a food additive not too long ago. Before that, it could be sold as...I forget what - dietary supplement, maybe? - but not as a food additive. Again, I'm not 100% sure about this, but that's what I'm remembering now.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yermej View Post
They were possibly stevia based. If I'm remembering correctly, the FDA approved stevia as a food additive not too long ago. Before that, it could be sold as...I forget what - dietary supplement, maybe? - but not as a food additive. Again, I'm not 100% sure about this, but that's what I'm remembering now.
I think stevia per se is still banned (except as a dietary supplement) but there are some extracts made from it that are allowed as of late last year.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to Splenda. I use it to sweeten my wines also.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

-1 to splenda haha. I mixed up a pint of apfelwein with it and did not like the result. It works for other people apparently though.

I was wondering the other day if lactose in beer was in the same ballpark concentration as in dairy products that would bother a lactose intolerant person.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply