The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lack of intense hop aroma...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Lack of intense hop aroma...

I am fairly new to brewing - been doing it for about a year now. I just finished my 10th brew (2nd AG). During the process, I have been trying to achieve the intense hop aroma that some of my favorite craft beers have. I have tried late hop additions, dry hopping, and hop steeping at the end of the boil. For my first AG, I also switched to kegging, so I decided to dry hop in the keg. I put the hops in a bag and let the keg sit at ~68 deg F for about 4 days, then I moved the keg to the kegerator. I was sure that I was going to get good hop aroma this time. I pulled a pint last night and was disappointed with the hop aroma once again - almost none.

I am going to try to weight the hop bag and get it to sink tonight. I read somewhere that the hop oils tend to rise to the top?

I am not sure what else to do other than up the hop additions. I have read about the hop-back idea also - I might try that.

This last batch used a total of 7 oz of hops, 2 oz of which were steeped for 25 minutes after the boil, and 2 oz of which are currently in the keg for dry hopping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Way more hops! My IPA calls for 17.5 oz of hops! 11 gallon batch. Only 3 of those are dry hopping and one is bittering. The rest are late additions and steeping. I'm thinking about getting the hop rocket from Blichmann.

EDIT: I think it's 17.5, I don't have my recipe with me but it's ballpark.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My biggest hop profile so far was a 12 oz. total, with 4 oz in the dry hop. Still didn't do much for me. I guess it is time to get ridiculous with the numbers!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Also use hops with intense aromas... Citra, Amarillo, galaxy, etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

What hops have you been using?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree, more hops, more late hops, and more dry hops. My 5 gallon IPA uses almost 10 oz of hops. I bitter with .75 to 1 ounces for 60 minutes. 2 ounces at 10 mins, 2 at 5 mins, and then dry hopped with 5 ounces. That gets me the aroma and taste I like. I combine Simcoe, Chinook, Columbus, and Centennial for my taste and aroma profile and bitter with Warrior.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah... dunno. Depends on the hops you are using, in my opinion its not about tons of ounces but rather AA%s and the over all IBU, and style of hop. Aroma is going to come with late additions but is quick to fade, so you can go higher, but I find in my testing that aroma is coming mostly from dry hopping.

If you like IPAs with 140 IBUs then go ahead and add 17 ounces. Your recipe, your choice. I find the hop burst method to give me more flavor rather than aroma. Hops like Citra Simcoe and Amarillo used in the 15/5/0 is going to give you that grapefruit smack in the face. 3 oz dryhopping is going to give your that awesome citrus aroma.

My experience, yours may vary.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Turner5
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with everyone else. Add more hops! I usually do 3-4 ounces at flame out and a 3-4 ounce dry hop.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I used a variety of hops in my brews. Most of my IPA's so far have had late-hop additions of one or a combo of Cascade, Columbus, and Centennial. I also did an all-Simcoe IPA that was quite good, but, like the others, didn't have that "smack you in the face" aroma that I like.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The last APA I brewed used 26 oz of hops in a 10 gal batch and a couple of friends commented that the hop aroma WAS TOO MUCH. I say no such thing, but it is still intense a couple of months later. I used 4 oz in the mash, 4 oz FWH and then 3 oz at 15, 3 oz at 10, 3 oz at 5 and 3 oz at 0 (150F 30min hopstand) and finally 6 oz in the dry hop. It is hops hops and more hops from the minute it hits your tongue to the minute it finishes. Very well rounded bitterness (NOT AN IPA) but all hop flavor.

Quick Reply