Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lack of Commercial Examples

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Catch-22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lack of Commercial Examples

I am trying to brew every style in the BJCP to get an idea of the beers that I have missed out on throught my legal (and non legal) drinking years. Problem is I don't have anything to compare them with.

A few months back I made a Dortmunder Export out of JZ's book. The beer tastes phenomenal but the closest example I can find here in Utah is Ayinger's Jarhundert. That example is not the best listed example in the guide and is about 2 SRM points lower than mine. Taste is the same but..... is this a good example of that style? That is my dilema?

Just venting. Is it just Utah or is getting a wide array of beers to choose from varying that much from state to state. Utah has great craft brewers but getting brews from outside the Zion Curtain is pretty limited.

Side note, I will be travelling to the Phoenix area next week if anyone knows of some stores that sell a boat load of different brews. Plan on bringing an extra suitcase

T

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
I am trying to brew every style in the BJCP
Next, you're going to blog about it, write a book and then there will be a movie about you like Julie and Julia.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Catch-22
Recipes 

As long as I can get David Chappell dressed up like Samuel Jackson playing Sam Adams while brewing. That would be sweet

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

There aren't a lot of commercial examples of Dortmund Export and Jarhundert is probably as good as you are likely to do. The big Dortmund breweries listed in the guideline distribute beer to the states but I have never seen their export style, just their lighter international lager type beers.

In general the examples are listed in descending order of how good the examples are, so note that Jahrundert is pretty close to the top and ranked higher than some of the domestic examples. If you want a wider range, you can probably arrange to trade for some of the domestic examples though (I assume in Utah you can probably not order beer online).

Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Some styles are hard to find anywhere. There's two commercial examples on the BA/craftbeer site.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Catch-22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
If you want a wider range, you can probably arrange to trade for some of the domestic examples though (I assume in Utah you can probably not order beer online).
Exactly, I cannot be a member of the "Beer of the Month Club" etc... and if I want to special order through the DABC I have to order a pallet at a time and pay all additional fees.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You can search Ratebeer or Beer Advocate for more examples of the styles. I wouldn't take their ratings to heart, but at least you'd see examples that might be available for you.

There are just too many beers out there for any style book to last all but a small number.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Catch-22
Recipes 

I want to try the Great Lakes one but I don't get back east too often. Perhaps a roadtrip is in order.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

I would avoid Beer Advocate. They are absurdly unthoughtful about categorizing beer.

For example, DAB Original is listed as a Dortmunder Export and it is no such thing but it has Dortmund in the name so the poor beer dweebs got confused since they are incapable of original thought.

Of course, they do call the style Dortmunder/Export so perhaps they mean to include all export style beers and all beers from Dortmund which happen to be in other styles.

Either way, not a good list of beers which are consistent with Michael Jackson's or the BJCP's notion of what the Export beers originally of Dortmund (but unpopular there now) are like.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Exactly, I cannot be a member of the "Beer of the Month Club" etc... and if I want to special order through the DABC I have to order a pallet at a time and pay all additional fees.
Are you sure its a pallet at a time? The DABC order website says "case".

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply