Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Labels that make you pass up a beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #31
FreakinA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Racer 5's terrible label almost cost me not trying it. Luckily I took all of your advice and bought it and loved it and bought it and loved it and bought it and loved it and then bought it and one bottle was not good, but then i bought it and loved it and bought it and loved it and now its today!

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is an alpha design for a logo I'm doing. I plan on having all the art work being of forests and scenery. This shouldn't be annoying

Old 11-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #33
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 387

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/

?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #34
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I absolutely hate it when breweries use the same template for their entire line of beers. Sam Adams, Hoppin' Frog, DFH - I'm looking at you! I understand the whole concept of logo recognition, but a little imagination goes a long way to me.

[/awesome]

Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #35
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I once bought some of this:

It goes without saying that I now studiously avoid any beers sporting labels depicting horses, or even just the word Kentucky.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #36
ohrinet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Another one that irritates me is those Rogue labels, they always just have somebody on there with a beer in one hand and their other hand making a first in the air. They literally could not be less creative. A chili beer so they put a dude in a sombrero, Shakespeare stout so they have a fella who looks like Shakespeare...really? That's it? It doesn't help that they are printed on so they aren't easy to reuse and the beer is mediocre at best. No Rogue for me thank you.
All the pertinent information...

They are not all the same. The fist pump is an integral part of their company creed/mission, therefore it is on most of their bottles. Continuity is something that sells product...it's good marketing. Their design is top notch, and they clearly take time and are creative, and I'd think painted/screened labels should reflect that.

Check out the Morimoto "labels" and tell me that's not good design.
http://www.rogue.com/beers/morimoto-soba-ale.php

And I'm no crazy Rogue lover, but based on the ridiculous number of awards, I'd say the beer is a little better than "mediocre at best."

drinking a chocolate porter

Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #37
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love when a company has a great template at just tweaks a few things! It adds uniformity to the line. Labels I like, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, New Belgium, Sam Adams.

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #38
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Without talking about how great the beer typically is inside a Flying Dog bottle, I also love the Ralph Steadman art on the outside.

Other than to identify what is in the bottle, I pay very, very little attention to the labels on the outside. Typically, the only ones I do may much attention to are the ones I like. I don't know if I label could turn me off a beer any more than one could turn me onto one.

TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencoat View Post
I absolutely hate it when breweries use the same template for their entire line of beers. Sam Adams, Hoppin' Frog, DFH - I'm looking at you! I understand the whole concept of logo recognition, but a little imagination goes a long way to me.
I'm going to have to disagree with both of you here.

To TexLaw and his comments about Flying Dog labels. I'm VERY turned off by the labels. His art was GREAT for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it really matched the theme and feeling of the book and movie. I don't want my beer to give me a feeling of drug-addled misadventures and gross stories of opiate induced debacles. I've never picked up a six pack of their beer at the store.

And I disagree with Greencoat and the consistent template. I love it when you can immediately recognize a brewery based on the design of their label. I think the designers CAN be creative with the template, while still being consistent.

Some of my favorite Homebrew labels I've seen here belong to Davebier, who uses a pretty consistent template. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/dave...andles-122751/

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #39
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2348 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
Founders' labels have also make me not reach for them. Maybe I should give them a chance, tho. (I think it's founders...)
I don't have that aversion, and yes, you should try some Founders. They make some of the best beer I have ever had.

I have a hard time buying Mount Pleasant Brewing Company beer because of their label. Now there is nothing particularly "wrong" with their label, I just think it looks cheap. It's basically got a picture of a train on the front and the name of the beer. Nothing so bad, but the only difference between their different styles of beer is the color of the label. Just seems like they could make a more professional-looking label IMO. And their beer is not bad, but I consider it average for craft beer.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #40
Windigstadt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I try to avoid any beers with labels that include the phrase "American wheat."

Seriously, though, I can't say that a label design has ever really impacted my purchasing decision. One of my all-time favorite labels is for a beer I virtually never buy (that would be Budweiser... such a classic design) and meanwhile one of the most sought-after beers in the world doesn't have any label at all (and that would be Westvleteren 12, of course).

Actually, I take one thing back. I have purchased one beer solely because of the label, and that would be Lobster Lover's Beer, but there's an inside joke associated with that.

Quick Reply