Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Labels that make you pass up a beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Without talking about how great the beer typically is inside a Flying Dog bottle, I also love the Ralph Steadman art on the outside.
Oddly, this is the reason I have never tried their beer. I like Ralph Steadman fine, but it just seemed odd on a beer bottle and always steered me away from their beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
Another one that irritates me is those Rogue labels, they always just have somebody on there with a beer in one hand and their other hand making a first in the air.
I like some of their beers okay. I'm not rabid about any of them, but I love those bottles because they remind me of old eastern bloc, Soviet area propaganda posters!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #22
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You guys are getting way sidetracked and all ethical. As I said before, this is the superficial beer thread. This is not about whether you label your homebrew or how brewers should be putting more attention on their beers or some internet rage rant about how BMC is the devil. This is a thread to discuss what labels suck and why.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
uess I'd pass on unicorns and rainbows
Wow I would totally buy a beer with unicorns and rainbows on the label, just becaue that's so hilarious.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I love those bottles because they remind me of old eastern bloc, Soviet area propaganda posters!
I think it would be fine for one Soviet themed beer, but when it's on nearly every bottle it becomes played out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Wow I would totally buy a beer with unicorns and rainbows on the label, just becaue that's so hilarious.
Lunch Meet: the beer

Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #25
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Without talking about how great the beer typically is inside a Flying Dog bottle, I also love the Ralph Steadman art on the outside.
+ 1,349

The fact that they are a big supporter of my homebrew club and donate ingredients for 'Big Brew Days' at the brewery doesn't hurt.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
You guys are getting way sidetracked and all ethical. As I said before, this is the superficial beer thread. This is not about whether you label your homebrew or how brewers should be putting more attention on their beers or some internet rage rant about how BMC is the devil. This is a thread to discuss what labels suck and why.
Like it or not, forum discussions take on a life of their own once started. *shrug*

That being said: the only thing that a label can do to drive me away from their beer is if it is too hard for me to decipher what is in the freaking bottle. Flash, not flash-- whatever--- the purpose of a label is to tell me what is inside if they use crappy fonts or they are so 'creative' that it obscures the information, that's what will keep me from buying the beer.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #27
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Quote:
I can't think of any that I think suck....well...maybe those stupid color changing mountains on Coors Lite....

Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #28
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've thought a lot about this topic, actually. I think I unconsciously avoid beers with labels that don't appeal to me. Well, at least until someone recommends the beer, then it doesn't matter.

If I had to pick a brewery with the most annoying labels, it's Ska Brewery all the way. Their labeles look like a cheesy attempt to be hip that it comes off looking stupid.

I also avoid landscape labels. Take for example Boulder Beer. I pretty much ignored their entire line up, until Hazed and Infused and Cold Hop IPA, and those labels work for me. At first, I didn't even realize they were from the same brewery, because their other beers have the annoying, generic 'landscape' picture on them. Lame.

The bottom line is that once I've had the beer, I don't care about the label, but I have to admit that I'm more likely to try a new beer with a cool looking label.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #29
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wyerbacher!! It took 3 pages for someone to say Weyerbacher? I hate their labels. On Heresy the words are off centered. Good beer, though.

I had another one but I forgot already.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob View Post
That being said: the only thing that a label can do to drive me away from their beer is if it is too hard for me to decipher what is in the freaking bottle. Flash, not flash-- whatever--- the purpose of a label is to tell me what is inside if they use crappy fonts or they are so 'creative' that it obscures the information, that's what will keep me from buying the beer.
This is exactly why I've never picked up a Founder's 6-pack. By the time I searched the label long enough to figure out what it is, I'm too annoyed to pick it up. Also, the artists' style just isn't my taste.

Is that a bad reason to never try their beer? Yeah, probably - but it's hard to grab something when you don't even want to look at it. Book/cover aside, first impressions account for a lot.

Quick Reply