*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Labels that make you pass up a beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
beerocd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Guess I'd pass on unicorns and rainbows but there's SO many beers out there I usually try to hit something that I heard someone raving about and never really think about the label.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another one that irritates me is those Rogue labels, they always just have somebody on there with a beer in one hand and their other hand making a first in the air. They literally could not be less creative. A chili beer so they put a dude in a sombrero, Shakespeare stout so they have a fella who looks like Shakespeare...really? That's it? It doesn't help that they are printed on so they aren't easy to reuse and the beer is mediocre at best. No Rogue for me thank you.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4787 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I don't know or care about your kids why don't you put something on there that has to do with the beer?
This is where I think the issues is, speaking purely subjectively, why should my label have anything to do with you or your life?

As for me, my kids have everything to do with my beer. They are eiether my inpiration to brew (in that I want to have the alone time), or they are with me brewing.

The lable should mean something to the person that is invested in the product. Otherwise, there is no real connection to the person that crafts it.

What you are describing, in my opinion is a prime example of the big advertising associated with Macro beer. "Pop the top and it takes you away to the crisp, cool, Colorado streams with visions of fly fishing"

Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
What you are describing, in my opinion is a prime example of the big advertising associated with Macro beer. "Pop the top and it takes you away to the crisp, cool, Colorado streams with visions of fly fishing"
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. We aren't talking about homebrews here that you are giving to your friends and family. We are talking about you walking into a liquor store and blindly buying something off the shelf. You know nothing about this brewer or his beer, you just want something that is going to taste good. So all you really have to go off of (unless you read or heard about it specifically) is the description and the imagery on the label.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

In my opinion, you can often at least gauge the quality of a beer by its label. Yes there are surprises, but by in large it is easy to avoid bad beers by inspecting the label and other information.

I do not have a class that I avoid, but I am generally not a fan or realism on labels. I think they should be at least slightly stylized or have some edge. That wouldn't stop me buying a beer I otherwise thought was good, I just don't like those labels as much.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
Guess I'd pass on unicorns and rainbows but there's SO many beers out there I usually try to hit something that I heard someone raving about and never really think about the label.

-OCD
Actually that sounds pretty cool. I'd buy that.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
timmystank
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Are you serious...."dont judge a beer by its cover"

Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Pyramid has always done me in for "labels that try too hard for beers that don't really deliver". Anyone that's had their apricot or hefe can probably relate.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The only thing I care about the label is telling me whats in the bottle/can.."IPA, STOUT, etc". I would like to think the brewery has put most of their effort inside the package, not outside.

The BMC's do a good job of flashy marketing/packaging though!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBEER View Post
I always think that if a brewery can't put some thought into the name and label of their beer then how much pride did they take in the production of said beer. I mean I just warned everyone about Malted Corpse. It had a cheaply applied paper label that was sort of peeling off and they didn't say what kind of beer it was it just ready "beer". If I can take 20 mins to come up with a name and a label then why can't some one who is actually selling theirs?
From a purely advertising/promotion stand point this makes sense. But if you put a dress on a pig....it's still an f'n pig. I kinda go the opposite route...If a company (or person) has to have a fancy-dancy label...then most likely that's where most of their effort went. BMC has some unique labels that they spend millions in market research to create...but the beer is sub par in most cases. Some bottles/labels look cool, I'll give you that, but that's not why I personnaly buy the product. I usually don't fall for the glitz and glamour that is advertising....I don't label my beers....I"M NOT A BREWERY!! I don't pretend to be something I'm not...(plus I have no talent in that department so....I'm jealous....lol..)

Quick Reply