Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Labels that make you pass up a beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Labels that make you pass up a beer

This is the superficial beer thread. This is for those labels that you just think are so stupid that you won't pick that beer up on the shelf and just pass it on by. Not necessarily ones you just don't really think about because they aren't creative, but ones that suck so bad it makes you not want to support that brewery. This thread is not for talking about how delicious a beer inside the bottle is, but how poor of a job they did labeling it.

For me, anything involving Aviation or Dogs on the label is never getting bought by my. Some breweries will theme their entire line of beers off of these and I think it's a big mistake. Sure planes are kinda cool and I like dogs a bunch, but what the hell do they have to do with beer? I don't wanna think about your dog drooling and all his hair floating around the brewery when I am drinking your beer...gross. There has also been two breweries in my state that have gone under after using an aviation theme as their entire marketing approach. Coincidence? Not likely.

Pretty much anything sporting skulls or that has like a skull and crossbones on the label. This is the most redneck approach you can take to anything. Just stop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You ever see "Repo Man?"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

I can't read the small print...or am I even supposed to be able to?

That is actually kinda awesome, there is something so unpretentious about it that I don't know if I could pass that one up.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4631 Times on 4313 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I don't even look at the label art really. The art says nothing to me about the beer inside. It could sport a dog flying and airplane through eyes of a skull and crossbones and it'd mean nothing to me.

So, if my bottle sport pictures of my kids, does that mean all you'd think about is crappy diapers? That is just wierd man.

what iirtates me more than crappy artwork is the lack of information many berwies include on the label. ABV, SG, IBU's, those should be mandatory.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
SFBEER
Recipes 

I always think that if a brewery can't put some thought into the name and label of their beer then how much pride did they take in the production of said beer. I mean I just warned everyone about Malted Corpse. It had a cheaply applied paper label that was sort of peeling off and they didn't say what kind of beer it was it just ready "beer". If I can take 20 mins to come up with a name and a label then why can't some one who is actually selling theirs?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

I haven't (and am trying my hardest to keep away) tried anything from Horny Goat Brewing, simply because of the name. Trying way too hard.

Founders' labels have also make me not reach for them. Maybe I should give them a chance, tho. (I think it's founders...)

Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
So, if my bottle sport pictures of my kids, does that mean all you'd think about is crappy diapers?
Probably not unless it actually showed the kid sitting there in a diaper. But if you put a picture of your kids on the bottle I certainly wouldn't buy it, I don't know or care about your kids why don't you put something on there that has to do with the beer?

Imagery is important. It doesn't necessarily have to be ingredients on the label. For example, I love the two hearted ale bottle because it is classy looking. It sports a fish on the label but doesn't make you think about fish being in the bottle, it makes you think of fishing the two heated river and relaxing in the wilderness with a great ale.

But this is totally subjective, that is why I made this thread. I am interested in seeing what some people love and pulls them in and what other people hate.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Chester
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I avoid the ones printed on the sticker labels. those suck to scrub off...

the only beer labels I can think of that I really dislike are the new sporty pyramid labels, they remind me of a ymca advert or something

Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Without talking about how great the beer typically is inside a Flying Dog bottle, I also love the Ralph Steadman art on the outside.

Other than to identify what is in the bottle, I pay very, very little attention to the labels on the outside. Typically, the only ones I do may much attention to are the ones I like. I don't know if I label could turn me off a beer any more than one could turn me onto one.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply