Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Label Peelers says longer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #191
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Got my lbs of citra and Amarillo today

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #192
graduate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got my Citra,Simcoe, and Chinooks today. Looking forward to the weekend.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #193
theBFG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mine came in yesterday and I picked them up from the apt office today! 1# Citra/Amarillo.

(kinda)

How long do these hopunion bags stay fresh? Is it better to leave the pellets in these until I use them (no idea when) or vacuum seal them (these are definitely not vacuumed sealed, although I swear last time I got them in these bags they were, but perhaps I was mistaken)?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #194
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBFG View Post
Mine came in yesterday and I picked them up from the apt office today! 1# Citra/Amarillo.

(kinda)

How long do these hopunion bags stay fresh? Is it better to leave the pellets in these until I use them (no idea when) or vacuum seal them (these are definitely not vacuumed sealed, although I swear last time I got them in these bags they were, but perhaps I was mistaken)?
The hop union bags are nitrogen flushed which is far better than vaccum sealed.

Leave them in the hop union bags until you use them and keep them at a cold and stable temperature. From my understanding a self defrosting freezer is not your best option because of the warming that takes place when defrosting. I currently use a vegetable crisper drawer, because it my best option until I get a chest freezer Im actually going to use as its intended.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #195
theBFG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

^^ Gotcha. Thanks!

I laughed at the "use as its intended". I too have a chest freezer, but its used as not intended.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #196
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2662 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBFG

(kinda)

Honestly the best thing to do is break each pound into 4 ounce bags and seel-o-meal the bags. You won't typically be using more than 4 ounces of one variety so this had been working well for me.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #197
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
The hop union bags are nitrogen flushed which is far better than vaccum sealed.

Leave them in the hop union bags until you use them and keep them at a cold and stable temperature. From my understanding a self defrosting freezer is not your best option because of the warming that takes place when defrosting. I currently use a vegetable crisper drawer, because it my best option until I get a chest freezer Im actually going to use as its intended.
The defrost cycle does not warm up the food in your freezer in the manner you are suggesting. If the defrost cycle worked in the manner you're alluding to, all of your food items would be ruined because they would continually melt and refreeze and your ice cubes would melt and then refreeze into a giant block. The vegetable crisper in your refrigerator portion is inferior because the temperature is simply higher. Even assuming for the sake of argument that the temperature of the hops themselves really did fluctuate like that, it wouldn't create the kind of damage you would have to food from that because pellet hops have almost no retained moisture - i.e. they do not conventionally "freeze."

Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #198
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
The defrost cycle does not warm up the food in your freezer in the manner you are suggesting. If the defrost cycle worked in the manner you're alluding to, all of your food items would be ruined because they would continually melt and refreeze and your ice cubes would melt and then refreeze into a giant block. The vegetable crisper in your refrigerator portion is inferior because the temperature is simply higher. Even assuming for the sake of argument that the temperature of the hops themselves really did fluctuate like that, it wouldn't create the kind of damage you would have to food from that because pellet hops have almost no retained moisture - i.e. they do not conventionally "freeze."
Actually the defrost cycle does work as I suggest, hence freezer burn on the outside of foods, and the large blocks of ice cubes after extended periods of not using your ice dispenser.

As far as temperature fluctuation being bad for hop storage in self defrosting freezers, that come straight from jamils mouth(not saying he knows it all). His suggestion is to put the hops in your ice storage so as to minimize temperature swings during defrost cycles. Edit, he isnt suggesting freezer burn would occur to the hops, just that a stable temp is less detrimental to AA degredation.

The long and short of it is that the difference between a veggie crisper drawer at <40 and your freezer is probably negligible for periods under a year, especially in nitrogen purged bags.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #199
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Got my citra, centennial and summit yesterday. Anyone one else get centennial...whats up with the 8%? Saw it in the picture above as well. Seems low, can't complain since that means I can use more but I've never seen it that low

Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #200
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1197 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts
Got my citra, centennial and summit yesterday. Anyone one else get centennial...whats up with the 8%? Saw it in the picture above as well. Seems low, can't complain since that means I can use more but I've never seen it that low
8-11% is the average range. I believe the hop union stuff I had last year was pretty low too. I do have some organic Cascade that comes in at 8.1%, which is higher than the AA range for them.

image-3652485492.jpg

Quick Reply