Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > LA/San Diego Trip - What Brewpubs & Breweries Do I Have To Hit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
CaptYesterday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default LA/San Diego Trip - What Brewpubs & Breweries Do I Have To Hit?

Folks from California, what/where do you recommend? I'll be out there for a week in LA and am already planning on hitting up Stone in San Diego. Where else do I need to go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hang out in Del Mar Nice Micro Brew Pubs there.... I can't recall off top my head as it's been nearly 10 years since I lived there.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
aliu630
Recipes 

I'd say Alesmith in San Diego is a must. PizzaPort Brewery is pretty nice too. they have a few location around SD.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm pretty sure there aren't really many decent breweries in the San Diego area. Too bad really, it would have been nice to check some out. Oh there are a few places I enjoy like Ballast Point, Pizza Port or this little place called Stone, but I don't think any of those are really noteworthy. Now, if you were in Portland! Well, then we could talk!!!!

Let the flamewar begin!!!

(Coming from the guy in Northern California, where we also have NO good breweries!)

Can't we all just get along?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I'm pretty sure there aren't really many decent breweries in the San Diego area. Too bad really, it would have been nice to check some out.
I'll bite.

-As you mentioned, Stone & Pizza Port
-Lost Abbey
-Green Flash
-Alesmith
-Ballast Point
-Gordon Biersch (if that's your thing...)
-Karl Strauss
-Oggi's
-Firehouse

Not to mention some fantastic bars, pubs & restaurants with gi-mungous beer selections (some to mention, The Yard House downtown, Stone World Bistro at Stone Brewing, and Churchill's Pub in San Marcos). *whip crack*
Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
ACheateaux
Recipes 

Pizza Port!

San Clemente, Carlsbad and Del Mar. Solid grinds and brews... the bottle store next to the Carlsbad location is rad.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
Pizza Port!

San Clemente, Carlsbad and Del Mar. Solid grinds and brews... the bottle store next to the Carlsbad location is rad.
I miss Carlsbad.....Nice bar hopping spot.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 58

OK more towards the LA side of things:

There's a couple breweries that I would recommend:

The Bruery in Placenctia has a tasting room open weekends. Not much to look at (well...except for the fermenters and barrels) but they have excellent beer and are pretty friendly folks. Nowadays they often have one or more gourmet food trucks parked outside as well.

A recently opened local brewery called Eagle Rock Brewing also has a tap room. I haven't been there yet, so I cannot comment. I do like their black mild, though.

I'm a big fan of Strand Brewing, although they have no tasting room yet you can find their beer on tap several places around the area.

Naja's Place on Redondo Beach pier has 80+ taps of delicious craft brew. It's a bit divey, but that's one of its charms.

There's also lots of gastropubs that have sprung up around LA with good beer selections. I don't know which part you'll be staying in, but in the south bay Simmzy's is good. If you're north of LAX in west LA area then Father's Office is good. Hollywood has Blue Palms with a good selection including cask ale. If you're up around Pasadena you give Lucky Baldwin's a shot, and a bit further east around Alhambra, San Gabriel, etc. you might try Stuffed Sandwich. Also, Hollingshead's Deli in Orange county is definitely worth a visit, if you're in the Disneyland environs. They keep weird hours though so you'd want to maybe call first.

One more I thought of: Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach. Very tasty grub and and excellent beer selection.

Last edited by weirdboy; 02-24-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledegg81 View Post
I'll bite.

-As you mentioned, Stone & Pizza Port
-Lost Abbey
-Green Flash
-Alesmith
-Ballast Point
-Gordon Biersch (if that's your thing...)
-Karl Strauss
-Oggi's
-Firehouse

Not to mention some fantastic bars, pubs & restaurants with gi-mungous beer selections (some to mention, The Yard House downtown, Stone World Bistro at Stone Brewing, and Churchill's Pub in San Marcos). *whip crack*
Oh, sure, there are THOSE places, but how about something GOOD?!?!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not too sure about LA, but here in SD, I'd definitely check out one of the Pizza Port locations. The San Clemente one is really nice, great view from upstairs, but you can't go wrong with any of them. I typically go for the Solana Beach one since its closer to me. As far as pubs, I'd check out O'Briens in Clairemont. But you definitely want to check out the North Park area (north, south and normal heights). Toronado always has a good selection, Blind Lady Ale House (owned in art by Lee Chase, former Stone brewer) has some good pizzas and a smaller, but very good beer list, and Hamiltons Tavern is a must. Check out sandiegobrewersguild.org for more places and to see if there are any events going on while you're in town.

Quick Reply