Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kind of beer for someone who doesn't like hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Dave6187
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kind of beer for someone who doesn't like hops?

I absolutely love hoppy beers, but my gf hates most beers that she's tried. She thinks they taste too bitter, etc. She found the DFH 60min tolerable, but that's about it. I know I can't really make a beer without hops, but does anyone have some advice on a beer to try making for her? I was considering maybe like an apple wheat or something w/ fruit added to it..

-Dave

Bucket:autumn amber ale
Carboy:
Bottled:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
adfirmus
Recipes 

You could make a Wheat beer. They are usually low in hops and IBUs. Hefeweizen (sp?) would be a good bet, and would have an nice fruity and spicy flavor. Plus, you can usually ferment them pretty quickly with a good yeast.
Another good beer girl friendly beer is a Belgian Wit, like Blue Moon, or Hooegarden. Also low in hops and IBUs but flavorful. I've notice most people that don't like hops or bitter beers usually love these beers.

In the mail: AHS Sierra Nevada Wheat clone
Fermenting: None yet!
Bottled and conditioning: MW Belgian Wit, BM's Extract Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale

Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

See if she likes Guinness Draught (low carbonation, coffee flavor (what woman doesn't like coffee), and lower perceived hop bitterness)

Or you could try: Scotch ales (smoky not hoppy), Belgian Wits (women love these in my experience), a fruit beer (maybe soured a bit), mead, or EdWort's Apfelwein.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Any kind of wheat beer should do it. They tend not to be highly hopped, in general.

A really nice Hefe, maybe?

I just made a VERY nice one. That keg will not last long. I'm brewing an 8 gallon batch of wheat this weekend. 5 gallons will be used to make a cherry wheat, and the other 3 gallons will be an American Wheat in one of my 3 gallon kegs.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
JMD87
Recipes 

If she thought DFH 60 was tolerable, you are better off then you think.

I too agree a hefe or wheat would do good. So would BM's Centennial Blonde (from personal experience with SWMBO)

Bottle Conditioning- Marzen
Drinking- Amarillo Pale,Oatmeal Stout
On Deck - Porter, Helles

Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with JMD. BM's Centennial Blonde Ale is a great, light drinker for BMC drinkers. Although the hops are present and able to be tasted, they are subtle. If you're looking to stay away from hops, I would also HIGHLY recommend this recipe:

www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Good stuff! The SWMBO doesn't even like the Centennial Blonde due to the hop aroma and flavor from the Centennial hops. She LOVES the Cream Ale I made using the above recipe. She finally confessed that one of her favorite beers is Natty Light... Uggh.. But this cream ale is very light with little to no hop flavor or aroma. Very easy drinking and quick to make as well!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3179 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 2707

Bavarian Wheat

Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I don't know about the wheat beer idea. Many perceive the yeasty flavors as bitter and off putting. My wife doesn't like them and they aren't my favorite. A malty English Pale Ale or an Irish Red would be a good choice. Also, the suggestion of a Cream Ale is a good one.

Another idea would be to slowly work her towards hoppy beers by making something hop friendly, like an Amarillo Pale Ale.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by albannach View Post
See if she likes Guinness Draught (low carbonation, coffee flavor (what woman doesn't like coffee), and lower perceived hop bitterness)

Or you could try: Scotch ales (smoky not hoppy), Belgian Wits (women love these in my experience), a fruit beer (maybe soured a bit), mead, or EdWort's Apfelwein.
My SWMBO doesn't like coffee. She also doesn't like bitter beers. I have made a couple fruit beers that she liked, so I'd recommend something along that route.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Gah, I have friends who think all my beer is bitter, just because I like hoppy beers. I made a centennial blonde and they thought it was still too bitter. One of them even drinks coffee. Go figure.

Oh well, I know better.

Quick Reply