Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kids and brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Gustavo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kids and brewing

Well having two toddlers running around makes it a little hard to brew. Since they love to get into everything and some how manage to open everything they get there little hands on. To start off my little girl threw ice from the ice bath into the cooling wort. Secondly she some how got unit my " man cave" and managed to opeb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Gustavo
Recipes 

^^^ managed to open my primary bucket. Not sure if she actually stuck her hand in. Well I hope she didn't contaminate my brew. ANY ONE ELSE HAVE TROUBLE KEEPING THERE LITTLE ANGLES OUT OF TE BREW LOL

Old 06-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My 2 year old is little problematic but manageable. I brew when he slips to avid risk associated with hot water, burners, gas, glass carboys ect, and my fermentation chamber is out of his reach, 2ndaries on the floor but he knows not to pull airlocks anymore, he always go with me to the basement to check on fermentation and starters, now he is actually reminding me every morning to check on my brew (dad yeast, dad beer, lets go

Old 06-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

All my kids, two girls and a boy, ended up brewing with me when they were young. I got a bottle opener and put it on a cord and hung it around their neck and called them my assistant brewmaster. I never had any trouble with them doing something what they should not have but I will admitt keeping a pretty close eye on them as I was concerned about them beinbg around boiling wort. Anyway as they got older they were good help, not always willing. All of them are now moved away from home and homebrewers themselves. I guess what goes around comes around, I learned to brew from my dad when I was still in gradeschool.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've thought about getting my two little boys invovled in the process, but then think about how they can't be within two feet of each other for more than five minutes without chaos erupting and I think again.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Clifton Likes This 
Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Spare the rod and spoil the child... ;-)

Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have twin 2 year olds at home. For this reason I either brew during the day when they are napping or I brew at night after we put them to bed. I use the closet up stairs to store the beer while fermenting, which they can't get into.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 395

The 10-year-old nephew....not a problem. He's really good at brewing too. Likes maths and science and chemistry, so it works.

The 18-month-old...oi. Brewing and small children is a disaster waiting to happen. And he loooooooooooooves the airlocks. Can't help but want to play with them.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

My four year old and two year old boys love to help out. I regularly post pictures of them to my blog.

My four year old LOVES to help, loves to smell the beer, etc.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
My four year old and two year old boys love to help out. I regularly post pictures of them to my blog.

My four year old LOVES to help, loves to smell the beer, etc.
Those are some awesome labels you made! Did you create them or get them somewhere? I guess I probably could have read the blog and found out. Sorry.

Quick Reply