Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kettlehouse Cold Smoke Scotch Ale Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #31
ChandlerBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I work for a company based in Bozeman, MT and I had this DELICIOUS beer at Montana Aleworks. I too, am very curious about how this turns out.

"Beer is good... and stuff!"

-Psychostick Song

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #32
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

hey remus...just curious where you buy your supplies online. i've checked out austin homebrew, midwest and northern brewer. i'd like to find the best place to buy individual grains for this recipe. it looked like austin homebrew will even let you order fractional amounts (down to the ounce) which is kind of nice. any suggestions?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #33
remuS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hi hopdropper - I've always had good luck with Midwest supplies as well as MoreBeer. I've been doing MoreBeer lately mainly because they have treated me well.

On that note, if you have a grain mill you can get the grains from Madison River brewery in Belgrade for more then half the cost online. If you go that route, make sure you call them early on a weekday (usually around 2 or 3) as well as do the pickup early as well (usually the next day). They get busy as the night goes.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #34
jlovgren406
Recipes 

Cold Smoke in the books. Pitched a Edinburgh starter and set the chamber to 67F +/-0.5. Seemed like that mash temp was a bit low for a heavier beer, but ill do as I'm told.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #35
MizooBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovgren406 View Post
Cold Smoke in the books. Pitched a Edinburgh starter and set the chamber to 67F +/-0.5. Seemed like that mash temp was a bit low for a heavier beer, but ill do as I'm told.
Just pitched mine the other day as well, got an OG of 1.064, close enough jlovgren406, I am actually in Bozeman these days as well. Message me in a few weeks and we can compare results.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #36
MizooBrew
Recipes 

And alright, now have my first go at the Cold Smoke clone in bottles and carbonating/aging. I'll probably get impatient and pop one this coming weekend, and then a week after that. Report to come soon!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #37
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Any of you guys try your Coldsmoke yet? Wondering how it turned out...just ordered the grain yesterday. Probably brew it up after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #38
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

A little off the topic of Coldsmoke (but still pertaining to SW Montana beers)...have you guys tried the Bitterroot Breweries "Last Cast Black IPA"? Guess it's a limited release beer... and it's outstanding. Ranks right up there with Coldsmoke and Hopzone as my top 3 MT brews. Wonder if Bitterroot would be willing to give up a recipe like Kettlehouse???

Old 11-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #39
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I loved kettlehouse back in '96-'97 when it was transitioning from a U-Brew to brewery.....I lived right down the street.....spent many a afternoon and evening there....only to stumble across the bridge and end up at one of the many "late night" establishments...Top Hat, Jays Upstairs, The Ritz, Rhino, or Charlies....sooooo many good times, no wonder it took me soo long to graduate....

Old 11-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #40
MizooBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdropper View Post
A little off the topic of Coldsmoke (but still pertaining to SW Montana beers)...have you guys tried the Bitterroot Breweries "Last Cast Black IPA"? Guess it's a limited release beer... and it's outstanding. Ranks right up there with Coldsmoke and Hopzone as my top 3 MT brews. Wonder if Bitterroot would be willing to give up a recipe like Kettlehouse???
shoot them an email! microbreweries are often very willing to give up their recipes to stoked consumers like yourself! and then post it here once you get it...

Quick Reply