The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kettlehouse Cold Smoke Scotch Ale Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #21
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

since you increased the extract amount you will prob be ok with the increased bittering additions as well - may not be exactly like cold smoke but I bet you end up with a tasty beer

i only use secondary for aging - i think general consensus is you want to at least give it 2 weeks in primary, many here advocate 3-4 weeks primary with no secondary at all

the real answer is that it depends, you always want to check the gravity before you transfer or bottle etc. for a beer like this I don't really think secondary would be necessary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
hopdropper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

hey scott...how's the coldsmoke clone coming along? keep me posted...real curious how close it tastes to the real-deal. thanks!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #23
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

also...did a quick conversion...correct me if i'm wrong here, been awhile since algebra class but....

oz hops needed = (IBU X gallons wort X 1.34) / (%alpha acid x utiliztion)

from what i've read online, the CTZ hop variety is basically just columbus hops, not a mixture/blend. so figure about 12.2% alpha acid for columbus hops, and 25% utilization for an hour boil and 5 gallons of wort. so....

oz hops needed = (10.5 x 5 x 1.34) / (12.2 x 25)

or in other words, .2 oz columbus hops (plus the additional kent goldings at flameout). i'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #24
MizooBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdropper View Post
also...did a quick conversion...correct me if i'm wrong here, been awhile since algebra class but....

oz hops needed = (IBU X gallons wort X 1.34) / (%alpha acid x utiliztion)

from what i've read online, the CTZ hop variety is basically just columbus hops, not a mixture/blend. so figure about 12.2% alpha acid for columbus hops, and 25% utilization for an hour boil and 5 gallons of wort. so....

oz hops needed = (10.5 x 5 x 1.34) / (12.2 x 25)

or in other words, .2 oz columbus hops (plus the additional kent goldings at flameout). i'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out.
This is my next brew as well, waiting for one of my carboys to open up. I was told when I contacted Kettlehouse the CTZ means Columbus, Tomahawk, and Zeus. I agree that it isn't supposed to be a combination, but rather any one of these hops. The impression I got is that they were basically using whatever high alpha acid hops were available. Using Colombus should work out very well!
On another note, what type of yeast are people planning on using? I think this will be one of the deciding factors as to whether this ends up being a true clone or just kind of similar? I've never used a Scotch Ale yeast before, so I'm not sure exactly what to think.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
scottcquinn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdropper View Post
hey scott...how's the coldsmoke clone coming along? keep me posted...real curious how close it tastes to the real-deal. thanks!
Thanks for the nudge. I was planning on posting today anyways.

Well, I bottled yesterday. And using the Specific Gravity, it's a 6% alcohol brew. I've been using a droid app to keep track of batches (Zym Tools) and it calculated 1.062 (starting) and 1.016 (ending) to be 6%. I always thought it was just starting - ending or 1.062 - 1.016 to calculate Alc% so that would be 4.6%... I, obviously decided against a secondary fermentation period. The agressiveness of the fermentation died down after about 9-days and slowed exponentially until yesterday. I added some priming sugar before bottling to help the carbonation process along and came out with right at 50-bottles (600-oz vs 640oz in 5-gallons) I think the majority of this was due to being extra conservative on what I allowed to be bottled.

My plan now is to let the bottles age for 4-5 weeks. I have a half bottle I'll probably drink next week just to see how it turned out, so I'll keep you posted.

Scott

Old 10-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #26
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure about the yeast...was going to ask at the local store about a good dry yeast for a scotch ale. Maybe check with Northern Brewer or Midwest too and see what they send with their kits. Scott...regarding alcohol content....what I've been using is this...

ABV = (OG - FG) X 131.25

Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #27
MizooBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcquinn View Post
My plan now is to let the bottles age for 4-5 weeks. I have a half bottle I'll probably drink next week just to see how it turned out, so I'll keep you posted.
Scott
Scott, what yeast did you go with?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
remuS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

He mentioned Edinburough Scottish Ale Yeast in his post.

I'm going to brewing this this weekend (pending weather). I'll be doing all-grain (4th AG batch ! ) as well as using Wyeast (Scottish) - 1728. terrapinj has mentioned another beer Kettlehouse makes is fermented at 70* with White Labs 001 (California Ale). Depending on how this batch turns out I might try that yeast next go around.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
scottcquinn
Recipes 

As remuS mentions, I did use athe Edinburough Scottish Ale Yeast, per the recommendation of the local help. Take it or leave it, but I should also state that I am new to this entire process (3rd batch ever). You gotta start somewhere right?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #30
remuS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The guys at Belgrade Liquor have always been very helpful. I would recommend ordering ingredients and equipment online though; Belgrade Liquor is a little expensive. Though it is nice to have them for those last minute purchases that you may have forgotten.

Quick Reply