Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kettlehouse Cold Smoke Scotch Ale Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Boil time isn't really dependent on batch size unless you need to boil volume down but KH does a 2 hour boil for most/all of their brews afaik

per the recipe above it says 10.5 IBU at 10min into boil

so boil for 10min, add 10.5 IBU of CTZ (amount will be determined by your AA% for 110min boil - prob not very much at all) the boil for another 110min then add your goldings

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #12
scottcquinn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Great!

Thanks terrapinj, MizooBrew, and remuS!

scq

Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
MizooBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcquinn View Post
So I love drinking coldsmoke and am a very, very, very inexperienced homebrewer. I'd like to start a batch this weekend but have some questions I'm hoping you all can help me out with.

1. your comment about the 2-hr boil, if I'm going for a 5-gallon batch, how long should I boil it?

2. Are any of these items in the recipe difficult to find?

3. 10.5 IBUs (what/where)?
1. Use this equation for calculating the IBUs-> IBU=(ounces of hops x % alpha acid of hop x utilization)/(gallons of wort x 1.34). Some little conversion factors, 27% for a 90 minutes boil, 25 % for a 60 min boil. I would convert for a two hour boil.

2. All these ingredients should be available at your local HBS. I have been to Belgrade Liquor and Homebrew... not sure what they have.

3. IBU-International Bittering Unit. Basically a way of quantifying how much alpha acids have been extracted into your beer. See recipe for values.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Fellas, I just found this thread and couldn't be more excited! Cold smoke is probably my favorite MT beer out there and I've been wanting to brew a clone for quite some time now. A couple questions though as I'm still pretty green when it comes to AG brewing. I'm assuming since I'm only making a 5 gallon batch that I DON'T want to boil for two hours...if I only boil for an hour, would I add the IBU's at 50 min, the brown sugar at 15 min, and goldings at flameout? And what about those IBU's? Have you guys figured out the correct amount/weight of CTZ to add? Is that a hop blend that you can easily find? Or rather just pick one of the varieties and go with it?
Thanks for the help...I'll be checking in on this thread often, can't wait to brew it up!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

One other question...I didn't see anything that mentioned a particular yeast, any ideas on which strain to use? THANKS!!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
scottcquinn
Recipes 

Hey hopdropper,

I went to Belgrade Liquor and the gentleman there was a great help. He said that for, basically an amatuer like me without advanced equipment, there was no way that I could follow that recipe to a T. I wouldn't have any way to mash the barley? and extract the malt. So he gave me 1-bag of malt extract and 1-tub of light extract. This came to about 8-lbs of the 9lb specified in the recipe. He mentioned that I probably wouldn't want to use a full 9-lbs because the extract should be stronger and 8-lbs is probably a good place to end up. He also did a IBU to Hops conversion and came out with 1.35-oz of hops instead of the CTZ. I am still unsure what CTZ is, but I used the golden hops that Belgrade Liquor supplied. I also used an Edinburough Yeast which comes in liquid form (my first time using this) and am extremely impressed. My bubbler is going crazy bubbling almost 100% of the time now. It started out at about every 5-seconds, but that has increased substantially over the first 24-hours. I boiled it for 2-hrs, but prior to that, I steeped all of the Barley/Grains for 30-minutes (again since we don't have the advanced equipment). After making it all day Sunday, I popped open a ColdSmoke to drink, and was amazed that the taste of the ColdSmoke almost exactly mimmicked the smell of the brew. I'm really excited to try it in 3-4 months.

-Scott

Old 09-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
scottcquinn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizooBrew View Post
1. Use this equation for calculating the IBUs-> IBU=(ounces of hops x % alpha acid of hop x utilization)/(gallons of wort x 1.34). Some little conversion factors, 27% for a 90 minutes boil, 25 % for a 60 min boil. I would convert for a two hour boil.

2. All these ingredients should be available at your local HBS. I have been to Belgrade Liquor and Homebrew... not sure what they have.

3. IBU-International Bittering Unit. Basically a way of quantifying how much alpha acids have been extracted into your beer. See recipe for values.
Hey Mizoo,

I just saw this after my previous post. Using the equation above:

10.5 IBU = (1.35-oz Hops x ?% alpha acid of hop x ~29% utilization)/(5-gallons of wort x 1.34 conversion)

so does an alpha acid of 1.8% seem right? low? or high? Most that I've seen on the web are around 4%-5%. So now I'm a little concerned. I'll look on the package when I get home to identify more info.

-Scott.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

did you use the entire 1.35oz for bittering or did you use some for a flameout addition?

8lbs of extract is going to be WAY stronger than this recipe is calling for

mizoobrew did an extract conversion above for 5.4lbs of dry extract

did you show the supply guy the all grain or the extract recipe?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 AM   #19
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the info...I frequent the homebrew aisle at Belgrade Liquor myself. I'll definitely stop in and talk to them. Keep us posted on how the Coldsmoke clone turns out...it's high on my list, hopefully going to get it going in the next couple weeks. If it even tastes REMOTELY like the original I'm going to be real happy!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
scottcquinn
Recipes 

terrapinj,

I did use 1.35 oz for bittering and .3 oz at flameout... I guess, this will be interesting. I didn't see the 5.4lbs comment (even though I posted a reply on it, all I saw was the 9lb). I used 7lbs of extract in liquid (molasses) form... and 1lb of dry powdered extract. I showed the supply guy two out of the three recipes the all grain and the 5-gallon batch, but not the extract recipe...

Will keep everyone up-to-date on the process... What's everyones opinion on duration of the 2nd stage fermentation? first stage is usually 7-9 days right?

Quick Reply