Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kettle Dregs aka Waste Not, Want Not.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Kettle Dregs aka Waste Not, Want Not.

A few weekends ago I brewed a couple of AG batches. Been working on dialing in my system and getting good numbers for BeerSmith. After I filled the fermentors, I drained the trub & leftovers, chiller, hoses into some pitchers & cups so I could get a measurement. Made my notes & stuck it all in the fridge along with the cups of wort pulled for gravity measurements. It sat for a couple of days, the trub settled and I was about to dump it and had a thought, at 10PM thereabouts.

I pulled out a stock pot and filled it with the decanted wort and leftovers, I had a partial bag of DME, some left over hop pellets, and a bottle of cane syrup that turned to rock candy, WTH, dump it in there too. Boiled it up, took a gravity measurement, added some water to bring it to 1.044 and dumped it all in the Mr. Beer keg, added part of a pack of US-05. Finished up about midnight. What's the worst that could happen?

It made it to 1.006 and didn't taste half bad, that was a good sign. Filled 20 bottles, up let it carb for 2 weeks.

Popped the cap on one last night, nice head, clear, nice amber color, took a sniff, smells pretty good, tastes pretty good too kinda like a light IPA. 20 bottles that would have otherwise been wasted. I've dubbed it Founders Reserve

I knew I kept that Mr. Beer keg for a good reason.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Lots of waste somedays here but never thought to try that

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply