Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kentucky bourbon barrel ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Kentucky bourbon barrel ale

I have some friends in a band that I have played music with several individually but never seen them all together performing so the wife and I went to watch em tonight. The bar claimed to have a nice selection of craft brews on tap. The waitress just handed me the list and there were quite a few ( by the way this was the filling station in TROY OHIO) I saw the bourbon barrel ale and gave it a try.. man that stuff is good. Then I had a belles summer wheat ( cant recall the entire name) and liked it prettyy well also.. This leads me to my reason for posting. What gives the bourbon barrel ale that caramelly, coconut ( or to me anyway) taste? I told my wife it tasted like a mounds candy bar to me at the finish.. does anyone have a decent clone recipe? I searched but didn't find a nailed down recipe.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Bueller....bueller....bueller

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
njbabs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can't offer a recipe (yet) but here's what I know:

It's based around their Kentucky Ale, which is a Irish Red/English Pale hybrid (according to them, I think this means a hoppier Red Ale). The Bourbon Barrel Ale is the same beer, but it spends 4-6 weeks in fresh bourbon barrels. As of now they contract from Woodford Reserve, and since they are just miles down the road from one another fresh means fresh. The barrels come to the brewery just after being emptied, still dripping w/ bourbon.

I don't know how their wood contact time would translate to cubes/staves. It's chared (not toasted) oak, though, as it's from bourbon (not sure the Woodford char level). This is most likely where you are getting the caramel/coconut.

A good place to start might be a solid Red Ale recipe, and some form of chard oak+bourbon.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

drinking a bottle of this right now wishing someone would post a recipe? this stuff is really good but still tastes a bit like coconut to me.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
HOPCousin
Recipes 

I have 4 bottles sitting in my fridge. I went down to KY for a wedding this past week and tried it as recommended by folks here on HBT. Excellent! I will try and make up a clone and maybe people can jump in and add to it.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
HOPCousin
Recipes 

Here is my first stab at it based on using MO recently and Victory in an ESB and some similar flavors. I would guess there is some of both in here and plenty of caramel.

5 gal batch 90 min boil, mash around 152
OG 1.048, FG 1.023, SRM 19, 8.1% ABV, IBU's 45.2

Grain
84% 12.5# Marris Otter
5% 12 oz Caramel 120L
3% 8 oz Victory (maybe more victory?)
3% 8 oz wheat malt
3% 8 oz Caramel 40L
1% 2 oz Roasted barley

Hops
1.5 Northern Brewer @ 60 min.
1.0 EKG @ 15 min.

I would US-04 or WLP 002 and ferment in the mid to lower sixties for the cleaner side of the yeast profile. Primary for 4 weeks and secondary with charred Bourbon soaked oak for 6 weeks? Need help with the oak. It is a heavy oak profile. It's like drinking Vanilla with dark caramel and a slight roastiness. Delicious!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
HOPCousin
Recipes 

They say 7-9% on the website so I tried to hit it in the middle.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #8
HOPCousin
Recipes 

Maybe soak a 1/2 ounce of heavy char in bourbon for two weeks and then add the oak to the secondary for 45 days checking in on the beer? You can add some of the bourbon later if needed.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Ok I have the charred hungarian oak cubes. I will buy a fifth of woodford reserve to soak me in.. I mean them in lol. I was advised by the brew shop owner to NOT pour the bourbon into the beer, JUST the cubes. he claimed the bourbon drew out some tannins from the oak and you don't want that.I have found another recipe on here and will compare your idea and his recipe for similarities. Anyone else wish to chime in?

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
hibbleton
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPCousin View Post
5 gal batch 90 min boil, mash around 152
OG 1.048, FG 1.023, SRM 19, 8.1% ABV, IBU's 45.2

Grain
84% 12.5# Marris Otter
5% 12 oz Caramel 120L
3% 8 oz Victory (maybe more victory?)
3% 8 oz wheat malt
3% 8 oz Caramel 40L
1% 2 oz Roasted barley

Hops
1.5 Northern Brewer @ 60 min.
1.0 EKG @ 15 min.

I would US-04 or WLP 002 and ferment in the mid to lower sixties for the cleaner side of the yeast profile. Primary for 4 weeks and secondary with charred Bourbon soaked oak for 6 weeks? Need help with the oak. It is a heavy oak profile. It's like drinking Vanilla with dark caramel and a slight roastiness. Delicious!
I think you may be over-thinking the grain bill on this one. I've tried making a clone once that didn't turn out, but not because of the recipe. I would start with a standard ESB (mostly Marris Otter with some Caramel 40 or 60) and ferment with Irish Ale yeast. Keep the hop bitterness and flavor low like in an Irish Red. I tried bourbon soaked chips in mine and didn't like the outcome. I'd try boiling some oak cubes, cover them in Woodford Reserve a couple months, then add it all when fermentation is finished.

Quick Reply