New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
bgraham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

hibbleton-

i feel like oak chips soaked in bourbon aren't going to give you the taste you're after. i say this because bourbon is aged in charred oak barrels which is what the kentucky ale is in turn aged in.

i read about a lot of people trying to get a bourbon taste and getting a really aggresive oak taste like you mention and i feel like that is why.

i have no experience oaking beer myself, but i feel like if you were to get oak cubes and not chips and torch them with a propane torch or something and then soak them in bourbon you would get a much more realistic taste.

i don't think you want uncharred oak to ever touch your beer (or your bourbon) at all.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited by bgraham; 10-23-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #12
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am drinking a bottle right now. I fell in love with this beer when I got it on tap at a restaurant in Dayton, OH. Best. Thing. Ever. I would really like to know how this turns out. I do like the regular Kentucky Ale as well. And I'm a fan of anything bourbon. Sooooo, you do the math.

Can you get it anywhere around Youngstown? If not, when you make it down to Columbus or Dayton I'll point you in the right direction.

But the damn Ohio taxes, stuff ain't cheap.

BTW, I'm adding this to my 'planned' list right now.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
bgraham
Recipes 

ha yeah, we have a great beer place that has this on draft right now. it's called vintage estates wine and beer and they have a monster selection and some really awesome stuff on draft all the time.

if you're ever in youngstown you should stop there.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 10-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
SCARYLARRY
Recipes 

The best bourbon barrel is BBC Bluegrass Brewing Company.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
MrMeans
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARYLARRY View Post
The best bourbon barrel is BBC Bluegrass Brewing Company.
AMEN!!

The bourbon ale was absolutely amazing the first time I had it on draft. I must admit though that the drinkability was not there for me. After two my pallet was tired of the flavor. After that experience I have noticed the flavor has changed to get progressively more sweeter with a stronger vanilla note especially when bottled. I did read where someone mentioned a change the brew master but at the same time if the same bourbon barrels are not used everytime that may impart different characteristics upon the beer. If I were to clone this beer I would go with bourbon made closer to lexington such as woodford reserve, knob creek, etc. Makers is a fine bourbon but I feel that it will have too much bite and woodford would lack in that bite and would add part of that vanilla note.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
hibbleton
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just tried a bottle of my Bourbon Barrel Ale clone and it isn't even close. You can barely notice the oak or bourbon and there's no vanilla taste. If I did it again I would used charred oak cubes and more bourbon (probably Woodford Reserve as mentioned above). If it gets better with age I'll let you know.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #17
Austin_
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was at a bar in the Lexington airport a few weeks back and got to try the Bourbon Barrel Ale. It was pretty good, but not excellent. A little too much vanilla for me. All I know is I had a couple and was walking a little crooked to my gate.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Had a friend bring me a 4 pack. $10 for 4. I wouldn't buy it again. It tasted, IMO, like a light Pale cut with 15-20% whiskey. I didn't think the beer was bold enough to support the whiskey.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
bgraham
Recipes 

ha, i think it is a really interesting beer. i almost have to be in more of a mood to drink bourbon than beer to drink it.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #20
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbleton View Post
I just tried a bottle of my Bourbon Barrel Ale clone and it isn't even close. You can barely notice the oak or bourbon and there's no vanilla taste. If I did it again I would used charred oak cubes and more bourbon (probably Woodford Reserve as mentioned above). If it gets better with age I'll let you know.

Did it at all taste like the original Kentucky Ale?

Quick Reply