Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kegging mishap w/starsan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Kegging mishap w/starsan

So I was kegging my two hearted clone yesterday and I had 2 empty kegs that I had cleaned out sitting next to me. I had sanitized one of them already and the other had a little less than 1/4oz of starsan poured in it that I was going to finish up after I had started the siphoning process.

I mistakingly grabbed the wrong keg and siphoned my beer on top of the un-rinsed starsan keg and didn't realize it until it was over half full.

Hoping everything turns out ok and it still tastes good, the sample I pulled before siphoning was perfect.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Geofferson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So you had a 1/4 oz of straight undiluted starsan in the keg you put the beer in?

I would definitely check the warning labels. I know diluted starsan residue and bubbles left are just fine, but I'm not sure about having much more in the keg. Better just check the labels and maybe the starsan website for any warnings just to be safe. 5 gallons of beer aren't worth getting sick over from a chemical contamination.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I emailed fivestar chemicals to see what they say but have not received a response yet. I am definitely not planning on drinking it until i find out for sure.

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 645

There was a thread in here a few months back where someone accidentally used star san solution instead of top up water. I also recall revvy mentioning a video where the owner of star san drank some straight from the bottle. I think if the beer tastes fine then there's no problem. Though the response the company gives you should tell you everything you need to know.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The Starsan is just going to get diluted with beer the same as it would with water, basically you have the equivalent of 1.25 gallons of sanitizer solution in there. I really doubt you have anything to worry about.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannell77 View Post
...un-rinsed starsan keg...
I realize that we are talking about un-diluted starsan here, but you realize that star san is a no rinse sanitizer, right?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Star San is an acid based sanitizer only effective at ph less than 3.5. When it comes in contact with the higher ph beer it is completely neutralized. You'll be fine. It's actually good news you got an extra 1/4oz or beer!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

My guess is you will be fine. The Starsan became diluted as you added the beer, and it's a foodsafe sanitizer. I would certainly wait to find out from Five Star, but I don't see any reason to be concerned.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 165

The directions on the back of a qt. of Star San: 1 oz./5 gallon. For all applications allow to air dry (but surface must remain wet for at least one minute), do not rinse after application.

I don't see any where on the label, that the company says it's OK to drink at those dilutions, or at any dilution. Or, that dumping wort into a vessel that's wet from the stuff and full of bubbles is OK. Their lawyer told them not to. If a guy said he saw a vid of the chemist that made it, drinking it straight from the bottle. The chemist may not have any taste buds or skin left in his mouth, throat, or internal plumbing. Or, it was all theatrics. The MSDS has it listed as a Health Hazard 3. Which is quite severe. There's laundry detergent (Dodecylbenzene Sulfonic Acid), isopropyl alcohol and phosphoric acid in it. The phosphoric might be OK to drink as it's used in soda. The laundry detergent and isopropyl, I'm not so sure about. Ya know if you're going to put something in your body. I would think it would be better adviced not to drink a mixture of laundry detergent and sterno. No matter what the dilution is. Nor, to take advice from someone that has no idea of the consequences, short or long term, from ingesting it. If it kills bugs. In time, it probably will kill people. Just my .02.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Here is the response I got from five star... "It’s such a small amount the chemist said you will be fine. Let me know if you need anything else. Have a great day."

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Quick Reply