Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > kegging bottling a few
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
adamber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: kennewick, wa
Posts: 7
Default kegging bottling a few

I usually just keg my brew, but I would like to bottle a six pack to keep for down the road. So my question is, what is the best way to get these boys carbonated? Some small recipe of priming sugar, or are priming tablets better off, and do they work well?

__________________
adamber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: the library, michigan
Posts: 363
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamber View Post
I usually just keg my brew, but I would like to bottle a six pack to keep for down the road. So my question is, what is the best way to get these boys carbonated? Some small recipe of priming sugar, or are priming tablets better off, and do they work well?
neither.


works like a charm.
__________________
brewski08 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
garbageman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 153
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski08 View Post
neither.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwIbFQcHYyo

works like a charm.
+1. What he does.
__________________
garbageman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Darkness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Turners, MO
Posts: 477
Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Most brews I do are 10gal and keg five and bottle 5. I had to bottle last night went through 180. It isn't fun but when I go somewhere can't always take kegs.

__________________

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Darkness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bwarbiany's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 1,833
Liked 558 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

While I agree with previous posters that you should bottle off the keg post-carbonation (also ensures you don't have sediment/etc), if you persist on just bottling a sixer and naturally carbonating it, I recommend the carb tabs or drops. When carbonating small numbers of bottles, it's just so much easier than worrying about measuring and mixing priming sugar for a mere 6 bottles.

__________________
bwarbiany is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,074
Liked 4474 Times on 3255 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
While I agree with previous posters that you should bottle off the keg post-carbonation (also ensures you don't have sediment/etc), if you persist on just bottling a sixer and naturally carbonating it, I recommend the carb tabs or drops. When carbonating small numbers of bottles, it's just so much easier than worrying about measuring and mixing priming sugar for a mere 6 bottles.
Yep, I agree. I usually keg, and bottle from the keg to have sediment free beer to bring to others, but those carb tabs work pretty well and are super easy to use. Just bottle 6, drop in a carb tab (or two, or three, depending on the size of the bottles) and keg the rest.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
garbageman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 153
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yep, I agree. I usually keg, and bottle from the keg to have sediment free beer to bring to others, but those carb tabs work pretty well and are super easy to use. Just bottle 6, drop in a carb tab (or two, or three, depending on the size of the bottles) and keg the rest.
I have never messed with carb drops or tabs. Side by side is one method taste and present better then the other? Bottling of keg post carb vs natural with tabs.
__________________
garbageman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: the library, michigan
Posts: 363
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageman View Post
I have never messed with carb drops or tabs. Side by side is one method taste and present better then the other? Bottling of keg post carb vs natural with tabs.
with carb drops, you are going to produce yeast sediment in the bottom of your bottle. this sedimentation does not occur when bottling from a keg if done properly.
__________________
brewski08 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nelson, Bc
Posts: 530
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I have had good success by carbonating in the keg at about 30 psi at a temp of about 1C (33-34F). I turn the refrigerator down low and put a thermometer inside to verify. Then I freeze the sanitized bottles in the freezer. I depressurize the keg until it is about 4 to 8 psi and dispense the super cold beer slowly into the super cold bottles. This gets the bottle about 3/4 full before foam reaches the top. I put a plastic temporary cap on the bottle and put it in the fridge. About 10 to 20 minutes later the foam is gone and I top the bottle up and crown cap it. This works really well for small amounts like six to twelve bottles I want to keep. I've done this with good results if there's a kegged beer I think has turned out nice enough to enter in a competition too.

__________________
RobertRGeorge is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
adamber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: kennewick, wa
Posts: 7
Default

couldn't I hook some tube up to my tap and run it to a bottle filler.

__________________
adamber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bottling is to kegging as....... Slipgate General Beer Discussion 3 02-17-2012 08:52 PM
Alternatives to bottling and full kegging? Zakit24 General Beer Discussion 9 10-27-2011 10:22 AM
Racking/kegging/bottling day! Yooper General Beer Discussion 7 09-18-2011 11:06 PM
Kegging and bottling MikeFallopian General Beer Discussion 1 07-22-2011 01:48 PM
A case against kegging - Bottling is better Grinder12000 General Beer Discussion 135 01-29-2010 12:41 PM