Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #21
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught View Post
I thought it looked like a good deal too. It was $200 after shipping, still not bad. It'll be a few weeks before I can use it, but that'll give me time to get educated.
Here is where I started, there are 4 videos in all and Chris does a great job in my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #22
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught View Post
Funny, I received an email from midwest today offering 20% off pin lock kegs....does this look like a good deal?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-...m_medium=email
Funny, that's what I got, but with ball locks, when I first set up the kegerator. Go for it.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Funny, that's what I got, but with ball locks, when I first set up the kegerator. Go for it.
Is the ball lock better than the pin lock? Like I said I know nothing.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #24
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught

Is the ball lock better than the pin lock? Like I said I know nothing.
Ones wider then the other. One is coke the other is Pepsi. They both dispense home brew!!!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #25
Bradzukie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641

I'm going to briefly hijack this thread for a quick question. I'm going with a manifold when I add my second keg. If I force carb one beer (say blasting for 24 hours at 30psi) with gas shut off to the other keg, do I need to purge the already carbed keg before turning the gas back on if I'm going to set the regulator to the same serving pressure as before (say 13psi)? And I lied. I have one more question. How are folks attaching their manifolds to their refrigerator?
Ok. I force carb at 20 psi and roll the keg across the floor for 5 minutes. I then adjust the regulator down to about 10 psi and purge slightly. Once the regulator reads 10 psi your good to drink. No need to wait a day. You can be drinking carbonated beer in 5 minutes. I put my manifold inside the fridge with the co2 tank. Im going to move my tank outside the fridge when I figure out a way to mount it to my fridge.

forumrunner_20120601_203214.jpg

This pic is from before I added the 3rd tap. Also, don't trust the tank pressure gauge because it doesn't read correctly.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #26
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It takes a little longer than the 5 minutes to carb..if you have patients, set it at 12 psi and leave for two weeks and your good to go.. if not set at 30 psi for 3 days and then lower to 10 or 12 and wait. Then you should be ready

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 06-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #27
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used to have a mix of pin lock and ball lock (mostly pin lock) then I found that my LHBS would let me trade in the pins for ball and did so. I still have all the pin lock connectors in MFL (threaded to use with the swivel nut barb adapter) if you want a couple send me a pm and I'll send you a few

Old 06-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The thing I learned when I bought my kegging gear is that you're going to get the best overall deal if you buy all at the same time. Places like Keg Connection will bundle stuff together at a bit of a discount and you only pay shipping once. That said, it's a big cash outlay. What I learned from my experience is spend the time to plan out what you want in the end and then figure out how to get there. You may think you want a tower system or a shank system, but if you think about it, you might only be able to accommodate a picnic tap system. It saves you from buying stuff twice.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikpete18 View Post
What I'd definitely suggest not doing (from my experience) is going through the door with taps but getting the cheap faucets to keep expenses down. You'll just wind up shelling out for Perlicks in a year after you get tired of your faucets sticking.
This +1000. Get Perlick up front! You will absolutely, positively, NOT regret it. I regret having built up my kegerator to 3 taps with standard faucets, which are now sitting in a box, and having to buy new Perlicks later.

Also, check out Ritebrew.com. I recently bought a BUNCH of stuff for a 5-tap keezer build, and found their prices to be pretty much the best around. Shipped quickly and in good shape, too.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
The thing I learned when I bought my kegging gear is that you're going to get the best overall deal if you buy all at the same time. Places like Keg Connection will bundle stuff together at a bit of a discount and you only pay shipping once. That said, it's a big cash outlay. What I learned from my experience is spend the time to plan out what you want in the end and then figure out how to get there. You may think you want a tower system or a shank system, but if you think about it, you might only be able to accommodate a picnic tap system. It saves you from buying stuff twice.
Totally agree with this. Other things to consider include maybe buying extra beer line, an extra co2 tank, some keg lube and spare parts to have on hand. It definitely makes things more expensive but it feels good knowing you have a spare co2 tank and parts just in case.

For example, I recently kegged a batch of amber ale and my keg decided not to hold pressure. I was able switch out some parts and fix the issue quickly as opposed to having to order parts online and pay more in shipping. Obviously this is a luxury and isn't crital. Just something to consider.

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Quick Reply