Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks everyone! There are so many options! I think I need some kegging education.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAught View Post
Thanks everyone! There are so many options! I think I need some kegging education.
Dude, you're gonna love it either way ya go. I also started with a cobra tap, came with the setup at my LHBS. Put it in an old fridge with zero mods and went to town. Picnic taps don't give to the best pour, but you know that, it's just like the tap on a commercial keg at a kegger party. Once I got my second keg, I have 5 now, four for beer and one for root beer for my sons (they use the cobra now), I got two Perlick 575 faucets, shanks and hardware. Midwest threw in the hole saw and I got the fridge drilled in a matter of minutes. Super simple, kinda fun, and now we always have two home-brews on tap and one or two waiting on deck.

My one suggestion, when you decide to do the kegerator (I say when cuz you will ), go for as much as you can. I'm not saying break the bank or anything, but get yourself enough faucets and kegs, etc. to keep you happy. I love my kegerator, but I'm already planning a 4 (maybe 6) tap keezer for the barroom and plan to move the two tapper to the garage (where I brew, scratch myself, grunt and do other manly things).

Enjoy!!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 41 Posts

I currently have a single keg with a picnic tap in an old fridge. I'm about to add another keg. I agree with folks who advise finding some way to store the picnic tap so it doesn't inadvertently open. I have my serving line coiled and hanging off the the keg handle. I just hook the tap over part of the coiled line. Haven't had any problems yet. Of course, one never has problems until they do.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 06-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Bradzukie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I recently switched to kegging a couple months ago and its so much easier. I started with two taps and then I just added a third. I recommend that if you go with a kegerator conversion that you spend a little extra and get a manifold for your gas. The manifold will allow you to force carb one keg and you can shut the gas off to the others. You wont regret the purchase of a kegging set up. Its soooooooo much easier than bottling!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
seanybubbles
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually can't believe I bottled for 4 years. My kitchen floor still smells like stout! Whatever route you choose you won't regret it.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradzukie
I recently switched to kegging a couple months ago and its so much easier. I started with two taps and then I just added a third. I recommend that if you go with a kegerator conversion that you spend a little extra and get a manifold for your gas. The manifold will allow you to force carb one keg and you can shut the gas off to the others. You wont regret the purchase of a kegging set up. Its soooooooo much easier than bottling!
I'm going to briefly hijack this thread for a quick question. I'm going with a manifold when I add my second keg. If I force carb one beer (say blasting for 24 hours at 30psi) with gas shut off to the other keg, do I need to purge the already carbed keg before turning the gas back on if I'm going to set the regulator to the same serving pressure as before (say 13psi)? And I lied. I have one more question. How are folks attaching their manifolds to their refrigerator?

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
I'm going to briefly hijack this thread for a quick question. I'm going with a manifold when I add my second keg. If I force carb one beer (say blasting for 24 hours at 30psi) with gas shut off to the other keg, do I need to purge the already carbed keg before turning the gas back on if I'm going to set the regulator to the same serving pressure as before (say 13psi)? And I lied. I have one more question. How are folks attaching their manifolds to their refrigerator?
Question one, I do to make sure nothing comes back through the line. Never tried not doing that, so I can't say if it's just a precaution or if ya really 'need' to.

Question two, someone else will answer this better. I have my co2 in the fridge with the kegs, so my manifold is doubtfully attached 'properly'. Check out the kegging forum, or the thread 'Show us your kegerator' for some good ideas on this and all sorts of other ideas.

Liar!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Funny, I received an email from midwest today offering 20% off pin lock kegs....does this look like a good deal?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-w-pin-lock-kegs.html?utm_source=Midwest+Supplies+Customers&ut m_campaign=d0f9c0811b-Pin_Lock_Sale_01_Jun_12&utm_medium=email

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea that looks like a good deal.. Go for it..

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I thought it looked like a good deal too. It was $200 after shipping, still not bad. It'll be a few weeks before I can use it, but that'll give me time to get educated.

Quick Reply