Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Kegging

Ok, I think I'm about ready to take the step into kegging. I'm hesitant about the additional costs and am looking for the best deal I can get. I think I'd like to start out with two kegs so I have a little variety. Would you recommend using the picnic taps or upgrading? I have a spare fridge that I can easily put two kegs in and thought turning it into a kegerator while I'm at it. That part isn't necessary though. I'm mainly just looking for tips, anything to make it easier to start out.

So from those with experience, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I waited for black Friday. Kegconnection.com had some great deals. On the other hand they always do. I got a 1 keg set up for about $100. Then I found the rest on Craigslist for dirt cheap. Good luck. It's well worth it

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just started kegging myself. I went with a single keg and the picnic tap. It has been working great for me so far. I don't plan on setting up taps anytime soon. Maybe if I get a few more kegs then I will get the taps. I say keep picnic taps for until you can go more.

Edit: Careful, cause once you start kegging you will want to brew alot more cause its so much easier then bottling.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
BootstrapBill
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would get taps. You can find them for pretty cheap. I got mine from birdman brewing for like $20 bucks. I think you waste a lot less, it makes your beer pours easier, and you don't have to clean up after the drips from the cobra heads. Save yourself the mess and spend the money.

Notable Empties: Pecan Porter, NorthWestern Pale Ale, Double IPA, Red IPA, Amber

Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I like my picnic taps. The kegerator's on the balcony of my 580sqft condo, so bling really isn't my deal. They work great and are cheap, easy to clean, and easy to find parts for.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I prefer taps, but it doesn't mean you need to get them right away if you don't want to spend the extra money right now.

My suggestion would be to watch craigslist like a hawk. You can find a lot of stuff on there for cheap. Also, post an ad in the wanted section for stuff you need.
I found people selling multiple items in some cases and I was able to keep what I wanted and turn around and sell the stuff I didn't need. In doing so, I was sometimes even able to recover the initial cost, thereby making the stuff that I kept free, or even gain some cash.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with starting out with picnic taps if you're looking to save some cash. I would recommend rigging up a system to keep the taps up and out of the way (could be as cheap as a bent paper clip) so that they don't accidentally get turned on somehow.

What I'd definitely suggest not doing (from my experience) is going through the door with taps but getting the cheap faucets to keep expenses down. You'll just wind up shelling out for Perlicks in a year after you get tired of your faucets sticking. I'd say start with the picnic taps and keep an eye out for deals on the rest of the stuff you'll need so you can collect it over a while and spread the cost out. I know Austin will do Perlick faucets on sale every now and then. Farmhouse has some of the cheapest shanks I've been able to find, and I think that's a regular price. And of course, craigslist!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I started with a 2 keg setup (still using it). One thing I would recommend is to get a CO2 splitter with 2 check valves. The dual keg kit I bought did not come with one and without it you either have to switch the gas between the kegs when you want to serve or use a splitter with no valves which means you need to leave both kegs hooked up at all times to avoid loosing CO2.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I think picnic taps (cobra taps) are fine to start with, and let you get into kegging cheaper without having to drill a fridge/mess with faucets yet.

I started with three kegs, planning on using two in the kegerator and having one "on deck". I bought a regulator with a "Wye" (T) fitting so I could have two kegs on tap, and a 5 pound co2 tank. I got my stuff from kegconnection.com and have been very pleased. Much later, I bought a few more kegs, bought some perlick faucets, and drilled the holes for the kegerator.

Here's what I got: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=326 plus one extra keg, and the co2 tank. It's good for having two kegs to dispense, and it was all set up for me.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
devils4ever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have picnic taps with my setup. I don't drink every night, so I like the idea of them being inside the refrigerator being kept cold. Taps on the outside might get warm causing problems. Plus, they are cheaper.

"Hush little brewski don't you leak, daddy wants to drink for at least a week." -- Bender of Futurama

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela

Quick Reply