The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kegged hopped particles, solutions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Kegged hopped particles, solutions?

So, I have a bangin IPA carbed up and at serving pressure. I did a lot of research and it sounded like a good idea to dry hop right in the keg with pellets. I have 2 oz pellets in a paint strainer bag in there somewhere. Originally I wanted to hang it with floss, but I kept getting a CO2 leak so I just decided to drop it in and let it do it's thing... thinking that if anything made it out of the bag, it would just settle to the bottom.

After pouring a half glass off, I thought the second would be nice and clear. Not so. There aren't any big chunks, but a fine... sort of "hop dust" that's a little gritty. Now, the hops have only been in the keg four days so I'm hoping the problem will fix itself over time, but if it doesn't I'd like some suggestions.

Fish out the hop bag and let everything settle?
Add gelatin?
Rack to a new keg?

Hoping this is a common thing, because I'm loving this brew and plan on having guests who appreciate beer next weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Tim_Kreitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've never dry-hopped in keg, but if I ever were to do so, I'd probably use whole hops only. Then, I'd put them in one of those super-finely meshed hop bags to ensure nothing solid got into the beer.

With pellet hops, it seems logical that you're gonna have a lot of problems with the "powdered", compressed cones. Perhaps there's a mesh bag awesome enough to hold the powdery components in, but I don't know of one off the top of my head. Perhaps someone else can offer a solution for you.

On Draft: Amarillo Brillo Honey Blonde Ale
On Draft: Cherry Christmas Session Ale

Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Ya leaf hops in a bag! Your best bet is to release pressure and Siphion out of keg rinse it out and transfer back to beer will hold some carbonation and since it is cold it will carb pretty quick.

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think there are some fine filters out there you can put on your dip tube for dry hopping in a keg. My LHBS has them. Pull your dip tube out and cut like half an inch off of it so it's not drawing it up from the bottom. That'll help with sediment and pulling up the settled out hop sludge.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
So, I have a bangin IPA carbed up and at serving pressure. I did a lot of research and it sounded like a good idea to dry hop right in the keg with pellets. [...]
Not quite enough research. I would never recommend dry hopping in a serving keg using pellets (bagged or not), nor free-swimming leaf (seen too many tragedies). Always whole hops in a muslin bag. Weighted, not weighted, not important.

For this batch, consider crash cooling the serving keg and carefully racking off to another (sanitized, of course)...

Cheers!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've dry hopped numerous times with a nylon bag and pellets. Some of the smaller particles of hops may make it through but as with yeast they will settle out and you'll have clear beer. Like you said, it's only been 4 days. After another week or so you'll be fine. Please don't go transfer and abuse your beer.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
jmadway
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisTX
I've dry hopped numerous times with a nylon bag and pellets. Some of the smaller particles of hops may make it through but as with yeast they will settle out and you'll have clear beer. Like you said, it's only been 4 days. After another week or so you'll be fine. Please don't go transfer and abuse your beer.
This has been my experience, as well. I usually dry hop with pellets in a nylon bag using dental floss in my serving keg and never have a problem. I dry hop 7-10 days, refrigerate, then tap the keg.

Give it some time and I'm sure it will be fine.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Bamsdealer
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well, I'll give it another week and see how it's coming along before I "abuse" my beer I didn't dry hop at room temp at all... put the keg in the fridge as soon as I racked, added the hop bag and set the CO2 to 12psi. This is my first time dry hopping with pellets, till now i've always used whole leaf. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
Well, I'll give it another week and see how it's coming along before I "abuse" my beer I didn't dry hop at room temp at all... put the keg in the fridge as soon as I racked, added the hop bag and set the CO2 to 12psi. This is my first time dry hopping with pellets, till now i've always used whole leaf. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming.
I've done both ferm temps and kegerator temps while dry hopping in the keg. You'll still get some great aroma at colder temps, it will just take a bit longer to peak.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

this happens to me all the time, whether i use leaves or pellets, and i just drink the chunks. i rather enjoy it, homebrewed keg-hopped beer has a super fresh quality i just can't get from commercial beers. eventually they'll settle down (like others said) and you'll have a clear pint, but i often miss those little green floaties that remind me i'm drinking a fresh, homebrewed ale.

Quick Reply