Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kegged Beer became dark red and weird colored

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
sag1189
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegged Beer became dark red and weird colored

So I was in the middle of moving this month so I had to unplug my kegerator and store my sealed full kegs in my parents garage for about a month (as sad as it is I decided that my furniture had to come the first trip and beer stuff waited until the second).

I just hooked up my kegs last night and went to draw out some beer. One keg-a saison- was fine. However my ipa in the other keg turned a weird color. It also was overcarbed and tasted gross. It was very tasty when I kegged it a month ago. So I guess I'm just asking is can an infection turn a beer from light (like 5 srm. Light for an ipa) to this color ( see pics ).

Sorry there's not a lot in the pics. I decided to take a pic as I was dumping the last drop.

image-3685132282.jpg   image-1520065992.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
steelersrbrun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

"foxing" was a term English brewers used for infection, got its name from the reddish-tinged foam. That kinda looks like a strawberry shake...pretty gnarly...sorry for your loss.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Marcados
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Did the beer taste different too? This just happened to me. It was a spotted cow clone from Northern Brewer. No signs of ill fermentation, and when I transferred it, it looked and tasted spot on. I wonder if the used keg has some residue from a soda I can't seem to clean. I've used PBW, following the directions, and have even been flushing with star-san after rinsing out the PBW. Thoughts?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
sag1189
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcados
Did the beer taste different too? This just happened to me. It was a spotted cow clone from Northern Brewer. No signs of ill fermentation, and when I transferred it, it looked and tasted spot on. I wonder if the used keg has some residue from a soda I can't seem to clean. I've used PBW, following the directions, and have even been flushing with star-san after rinsing out the PBW. Thoughts?
Yeah mine tasted completely awful so there's definitely some bug there. I'm just gonna take the keg apart change the o rings and load it up with star san and hope for the best.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Was that the first draw from the keg after it sat for a while? That looks to me like you had some settling in the keg and pulled it all out in the first draw.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply